The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey all ! Some help?

Guest Jane24

Guest Jane24

1.After watching all possible oil change videos on the internet i decided it's time to get dirty... and do it myself(yes first time...ever) can somebody put a black dot or something on the picture below of where , approximately the oil drain plug is situated under the car ... i don't wanna be draining the transmission fluid :rolleyes:

2. Just got some Valvoline SYNPOWER 5w-40 oil from a friend it's ok to use it on my N\A Supe? Or should i buy something recommended in the oil topic? I love my car and don't wanna take any chances:d

Car is a N\a Supra manual.

Thkz.....

1077891_2.jpg

Edited by Jane24 (see edit history)

Welcome...

But if you are unsure where the plug is.. it sort of indicates that you haven't done on ANY car yet. It is an easy job, so don't be put off, but make sure you have someone there to help you.

The NA supra is fairly easy to work on, but if you aren't sure don't risk it.

1.after Watching All Possible Oil Change Videos On The Internet I Decided It's Time To Get Dirty... And Do It Myself(yes First Time...ever) Can Somebody Put A Black Dot Or Something On The Picture Below Of Where , Approximately The Oil Drain Plug Is Situated Under The Car ... I Don't Wanna Be Draining The Transmission Fluid :rolleyes:

Hth...

1077891_2.jpg

Guest Jane24
ha ha its not that...I think its the fact your asking for the location of the sump plug and posting the WORST possible picture from which to point it out on......if the sump plug was on the roof you would be ok

yea but i can't get a pic of under the car... i was trying to find it's approximate position from the top to the bottom not how it looks like.

You'll also need a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands and also change the oil filter at the same time - no point putting clean oil through a dirty filter.

If you put fully synthetic oil in you can go plenty of time between services as it does not break down as quickly. There is an excellent guide on here for oils and lubricants etc:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

for suppliers go to Oilman (opie oils). You can get a filter from a Toyota dealer - steve manley can give a discount and delivers: 01865 291333. Another easy job is changing the air filter. Can get that from Steve too.

good luck and enjoy!!

Linda

Guest Jane24
You'll also need a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands and also change the oil filter at the same time - no point putting clean oil through a dirty filter.

If you put fully synthetic oil in you can go plenty of time between services as it does not break down as quickly. There is an excellent guide on here for oils and lubricants etc:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

for suppliers go to Oilman (opie oils). You can get a filter from a Toyota dealer - steve manley can give a discount and delivers: 01865 291333. Another easy job is changing the air filter. Can get that from Steve too.

good luck and enjoy!!

Linda

Thank you ! I do have enough Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 for this change should i use it or go buy something else?

:D

Linda a suggestion

get booked into a garage this time- watch em do it; then youll know exactly what to do and will be totally confident next time.

Personally I dont trust axle stands and dont like dead flat women.

no shame -I know what to do and have done it but it can be a lot harder than it seems eg what you going to do if the filter is stuck tight - its a nasterd to get off at the best of times

just my dos colones worth (2 cents lol)

Rich

PS welcome btw:p

Linda a suggestion

get booked into a garage this time- watch em do it; then youll know exactly what to do and will be totally confident next time.

no shame -I know what to do and have done it but it can be a lot harder than it seems eg what you going to do if the filter is stuck tight - its a nasterd to get off at the best of times

Rich

That is the truth, I've done countless oil changes, but over the weekend I extended my vocab and lost ANOTHER layer off my fingers. The blooming MR2 filters are a PITA to say the least. The NA's aren't too bad but getting to the filter is a bit of a fiddle really. (Hence the reason I fitted a relocation to the soon-to-be track NA)

Guest Jane24

Linda a suggestion

Rich

I think you're absolutely right ... even though i had the ambition to do it myself i'm starting to realize it's a bit off my hands... I think i'll visit a garage for the car's sake and mine

Thank you all

I think you're absolutely right ... even though i had the ambition to do it myself i'm starting to realize it's a bit off my hands... I think i'll visit a garage for the car's sake and mine

Thank you all

Nooo.. don't give up that easily, seriously, oil changes are well within the reach of anybody with common sense. Just don't pull a Lew on us :)

Guest Jane24
Nooo.. don't give up that easily, seriously, oil changes are well within the reach of anybody with common sense. Just don't pull a Lew on us :)

Oh don't worry just want to get the schpill first and than i'll do it on my own, i'm a big girl ;)

Well you're a braver woman than I am a man...

I have no axle stands, practically no tools but I know I could do it. After all the sump plug has to be at the botton of the sump, bottom of the main engine block, the transmission fluid bolt has to be way further back.

It's also worthwhile getting a new Oil sump bolt ring thingumy to replace when you screw it back in, though I believe not life and death if you don't have one.

Getting the oil filter out is a total and utter bugger as I have big hands and arms to get in between the damn sharp bits of the engine bay.

So with all that said I get my garage to do it because quite frankly I like skin on my hands & arms and they have a proper lift and can get rid of the old oil properly etc.

I wish you all the best, at least you'll have done it yourself unlike me!

I knew it would be funny for some but not everybody is a car expert :p

sorry jane but i did laugh, i am certainly no expert, but it was where do i put the spot on that pic:D but thankyou you certainly put a smile on my face with your naivety:D

If it makes you feel any better, a while back when I was in a rush to get my car ready for a track day, I slid underneath on a skateboard and just cracked off the sump bolt, it was only when I had a look underneath and what angle I had slid underneath that I realized I was about 1.5 ft back from the engine and I had just drained the gearbox :) So yeah it does happen.

Guest Jane24
If it makes you feel any better, a while back when I was in a rush to get my car ready for a track day, I slid underneath on a skateboard and just cracked off the sump bolt, it was only when I had a look underneath and what angle I had slid underneath that I realized I was about 1.5 ft back from the engine and I had just drained the gearbox :) So yeah it does happen.

lol yeah *beep* happens ...

Edited by Jane24 (see edit history)

Thats quality! Did you have to order oil or did u just stick the old stuff back in?