The mkiv Supra Owners Club

need some help making my mind up!!!!

123tom123tom

Right this is my situation,

I was going to sell my car due to other commitments but now found it in my heart to keep the car....

I am moving soon and I am getting a garage, i want to store the car away in there and and create a bit more power from the beast:rolleyes:

it is full bpu at the moment and yes am loving the gains from this stage of mods, but like most people i want more.

I dont think i want to go down the single route but i would like 500bhp, is this possible?

what kind of mods would i have to do to get anywhere near that figure,

what kind of price is it to get jspec turbo refurbed with steel internals etc, or what kind of mods do you need to do to put uk turbos on a jspec,

opinions and suggestion please.....:)

You won't get 500bhp from the twin setup, but 450bhp is realistic. From what I remember you had a pretty good spec already.

Have a look at the specs of Lui's and GrahamC's supra's, they're about as far as you can go with the stock setup and hybrids.

Yep ... with stage 3 hybrid turbos, 264 cams, FMIC, uprated fuel pump, UK spec injectors, Boost controller and a piggy back ECU, 460-470 hp can be achieved (not to forget a decatted exhaust). But, as mentionned by Homer, foget the 500 if you want to stick with the twin setup.

what about uk spec turbos can these be used on a jspec if so what do you need part wise,

as for the hybrids what are the best type, again what parts are needed.

sorry to be pain, i knew 500 may not be achievable but just wanted close,

what kind of hassel is it to fit bigger twin turbo's?

what about uk spec turbos can these be used on a jspec if so what do you need part wise,

as for the hybrids what are the best type, again what parts are needed.

sorry to be pain, i knew 500 may not be achievable but just wanted close,

what kind of hassel is it to fit bigger twin turbo's?

UK turbo's are not a direct fitment, you are better off going for some hybrids that will fit your existing manifold and downpipe. In terms of outright power, they work in this order: Jspec -> UK Spec -> Hybrids. In terms of spool/driveabilty they are obviously the opposite.

The only company I know that have supplied reliable hybrids recently is Envy.

A big twin setup is not a direct swap of turbo's, it's basically the same as fitting two single turbos. It's very expensive to do and probably won't give you the car you want They are only really worthwhile if you want 700bhp+.

Have a look at last Japanese Performance Mag (Issue 89) ... there is a Supe in which runs Envy stage 3 hybrid turbos (power approx 465 bhp)

:lol:

Don't believe a word the magazines say, it's mostly made up on the spot. The car mentioned is Lui's isn't it? He just guessed the figure as it's not been near a dyno yet. He actually phoned me before the interview & photoshoot to ask what power it should make and I certainly didn't say 465 bhp :D Although to be fair it's probably not too far off that on high boost (450 max as mentioned earlier)

I confirm Tricky-Ricky with the twin set up. Before going single, I had the Euro-spec turbos running 1.4 bar (with GReddy electronic boost controller, GReddy e-manage piggy back ECU, GReddy 3 row FMIC, RMM downpipe) (euro-spec 256 cams). The power gain (compared to stock) was impressive ... I think 420-430 was the power I was running; It felt very nice.

:yeahthat:

My UK spec had Hybrids on it from Envy, they are made by Turbo Technics and are rated to 1.4 bar.

One thing I would say is if you are likely to get bored of hybrids then do not go down the Hybrid route as it will just be a big waste of money.

Going down the Hybrid route is cheaper than going single. (Properly set up single and hybrids I mean)

Best advice is get a ride in a single before you make your mind up, personally I have not been in a single yet but I have never heard of anyone that has not craved doing it to their own car. It is a whole different experience.

So do not make your mind up too soon.

:yeahthat:

My UK spec had Hybrids on it from Envy, they are made by Turbo Technics and are rated to 1.4 bar.

One thing I would say is if you are likely to get bored of hybrids then do not go down the Hybrid route as it will just be a big waste of money.

Going down the Hybrid route is cheaper than going single. (Properly set up single and hybrids I mean)

Best advice is get a ride in a single before you make your mind up, personally I have not been in a single yet but I have never heard of anyone that has not craved doing it to their own car. It is a whole different experience.

So do not make your mind up too soon.

Excellent advice...;) :)

I was told the same thing as i was thinking of going for Hybrids. I am hopefully going to get a ride in a single and a Hybrid BPU + Supe and only after that,

i'll make my mind up...

Im only a young guy but without sounding stupid, i want the reliabilty factor, a fast road car to have lots of fun and to drive in, obviusly!

Tbh, for what im looking at, i think a single Turbo conversion is the way to go...

But hey, we'll see...:)

ok will do cheers for the help, mark speak to you later mate, might pic your brains as well:eyebrows:

and if there is anybody out there wanting to give me a ride in there single, locally please pm me :D

Anytime mate, I may not be technical in regards to it but in advice I can certainly give you that, as read my fair share of single theads. There are technical guys on here that will be able to help you, look ato some of the "I am considering going single" threads and you will get loads more pros and cons. Homer always has a level headed way of advising people.

As for a single locally, I would say Rob (Sheffield) as he has just completed his. Although it has taken him this long to do it, you might be waiting some time before it moves :p Joking aside I would say he is your man.

I had my stock (euro-spec) twins running 1.4 bar. The conversion to single was an awseome power mutation. Be sure of what you want ... You speek about 500 bhp, which you won't get with stock twins or hybrids. But as we all know, today it's 500, tomorrow 520 and so on :D

Set yourself a concrete goal and then decide what to go for :)