The mkiv Supra Owners Club

20k-30k What would you do?

Guest LennyLexus

Guest LennyLexus

Hi guys I need to know if the Supra is for me.

What would you guys do or recommend to someone who hasnt experienced supra ownership in around 5 years time, with a budget of between 20-30k todays money.

The reason for 5 years is explained http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=153298

The things im after

1.Must be Japanese, Dont want german def not french or yank.

2.Sub 4 second 0-60 or to rival the latest 911T

3.Handling to rival the latest 911 at the time

4.Capable to doing the 'ring in sub 8mins, by a pro.

5.Must look the business (classy but aggressive-->Yakuza stylee)

6.AWD or RWD (AWD is for pussies, but I'm not a professional racing driver, so the extra grip would help)

7.Ideally 19"s or 18"'s lightweight 2/3 forged wheels

8.Paddleshift or a good autobox, (manual massive can hush, most people that go on about manuals cant even use them properly, I dont claim to, so want an auto for easy quick shifting)

9.Classy ALL leather interior

10.Decent lightweight soundsystem

In summary a japanese supercar to give the F430, 911T, Gallardo etc a turn for their money

The car will spend most of its time locked away a garage and probably do 2-3k a year

Options

1.GT-R

+Meets all the requirements:)

-Had nissans before,but a bit unsure about new cars, depreciation, RFL, Ownersclub, might be common and unoriginal unless modded?

2.Well sorted Supra TT to meet above specs

+One of the best and most tuneable engines ever made,good club?,it would be for keeps,I think they can be updated to complete with the lastest car of that level?

-Bit dated,might be left behind

3.Odd one F355

+Always wanted a F40 as a boy

-very high maintenance costs, dated, will most likely be left behind by the cars of the future

4.HT-FS

+Green, looks the business

-unsure of modability, its not the legend is it? depreciation and the hassle that goes with owning a newish car.

Also what do people think the values of Supras will be (excluding inflation) in 5-10years time?

Cheers

Len

Guest LennyLexus
5 years time???

You are aware that the car will then effectively be 20 year old...At the current rate around 10p :)

yep :lol: I just want to gather supe owners opinions on what they really think of their cars.

Guest LennyLexus
I wasn't including inflation... cars depreciate...BADLY :p

Dont I just know this from personal experience, personally I'm put of buying a special newish car for that reason. But then old performance cars tend to be ragged to **** and need a fortune spending on them to bring back to OEM spec, cars always cost the same run (in relation to release cost) regardless of purchase price.

I still love supras and will be getting another one but in my experience if you speak with anyone under the age of 20 they cant understand the interest in them, they just see it as an old jap car, bit like how i see a nissan 240z i suppose.

They are a cheap car these days and that price is only going to go one way what with the increasing costs of running an old car with a drink problem.:)

I'm going to be a killjoy and say dont buy anything jap:)

While your saving it would be a good idea to wait and see if this fuel crisis is going to continue, but you would be aswell as shoving your money down the drain if you want to buy jap and compete with the above esp. on a track

No offence, but I really doubt your serious, you would have to be bordering on insane(or part of this members club:innocent:) to want to spend 20k to 30k on a 15year old car

We are all doomed as we already have the supra bug - but its an illness best avoided

Go ahead and spend 10k on a bpu sup their great cars but anything more and you would be best just throwing your cash out the window!(please give me notice in advance if you wish to do this;))

HTH

1.Must be Japanese, Dont want german def not french or yank.

2.Sub 4 second 0-60 or to rival the latest 911T

3.Handling to rival the latest 911 at the time

4.Capable to doing the 'ring in sub 8mins, by a pro.

5.Must look the business (classy but aggressive-->Yakuza stylee)

6.AWD or RWD (AWD is for pussies, but I'm not a professional racing driver, so the extra grip would help)

7.Ideally 19"s or 18"'s lightweight 2/3 forged wheels

8.Paddleshift or a good autobox, (manual massive can hush, most people that go on about manuals cant even use them properly, I dont claim to, so want an auto for easy quick shifting)

9.Classy ALL leather interior

10.Decent lightweight soundsystem

Just a couple of thoughts on these:

2. The supra weighs over 1500kg - sub 4 seconds to 60 from a 3 litre engine would take some doing I'd have thought.

3. 911s in 5-10 years time will be leagues ahead of Supras for handling.

8. Probably not consistent with the sub-8 min 'ring lap you're hoping to achieve!

9. It'd have to be an expensive retrim or a UK car.

Why not pick up a second hand new GTR in 5 years time?! :D

What would you guys do or recommend to someone who hasnt experienced supra ownership in around 5 years time,

I completely missed this point - you will probably pick up a decent single for sub 10k in that time frame,

Now I know you are dreaming:d

2. The supra weighs over 1500kg - sub 4 seconds to 60 from a 3 litre engine would take some doing I'd have thought.

8. Probably not consistent with the sub-8 min 'ring lap you're hoping to achieve!

2. No bother in a good street single with a decent driver ;)

8. Not going to be consistent without a pro driver and a good suspension setup

9. With a 30k budget and planning on buying a supra i would be expecting plenty of change for a re-trim.

I absolutely love the supra mate, its one of the most comfortable cars i have ever driven. If i had 30k to spend and wanted an auto i would buy one that already has a proven reliable 550-600hp engine in it with all the transmission stuff already sorted out. I would then get the suspension sorted by Chris Wilson and the Re-Trim sorted out by Gibson.

A well sorted Auto would probably cost you around 10-12k (dogs danglies price) dependant on mods etc, the retrim around 1.2k for a minter and the suspension around 1-1.5k again.

Of course loads of other stuff would need to be looked at, such as brakes etc, but i reckon you could get most of what you are looking for for 15k.

Guest LennyLexus
I'm going to be a killjoy and say dont buy anything jap:)

While your saving it would be a good idea to wait and see if this fuel crisis is going to continue, but you would be aswell as shoving your money down the drain if you want to buy jap and compete with the above esp. on a track

No offence, but I really doubt your serious, you would have to be bordering on insane(or part of this members club:innocent:) to want to spend 20k to 30k on a 15year old car

We are all doomed as we already have the supra bug - but its an illness best avoided

Go ahead and spend 10k on a bpu sup their great cars but anything more and you would be best just throwing your cash out the window!(please give me notice in advance if you wish to do this;))

HTH

Yes mate you are killjoy, i want something different from norm.

I'm not that insane anymore, was considering spending £10k+ on 2JZ-GTE transplant for an IS will be worth 2k in 5 years time. The amount of money i've lost on the IS, i could have brought a good spec supra, i know cars are a money pit, i'm quite good with money (bean counter by trade), but sometimes you do things for the love.

IMHO supras seem very moddable and provide excellent bang for buck, spent 3k for another 60/70bhp.

One option as you say is to get a BPU supra and sort out the niggles and cut my losses when selling after a few years.

Guest LennyLexus

In theory you need 375bhp to achieve 4secs (1500/4), so a good single with 500bhp should achieve it if it can put the power down.

The GTR does tick all the boxes, new car depreciation, unsure on it being something special.

R34, no thanks, not a fan of the looks.

Cheers Scotster, there seems be a diehard supra fan on here :p

must admit I'd love to go in one of these "well sorted" supras.

Been in a few and many fast cars in my time and while supras are quick and all, I'd like to go in a CW-fully set up very fast road supe to see what all this fuss is about.

I just wonder if it'll be that notiecably different from a standard BPU car which has been serviced at a toyota garage.

How can one tell on a 40-70mph road? :search:

Guest LennyLexus
:yeahthat:

911's, i just cant get excited about them (even tho, i'm trying to achieve similar goals).

One car that I really really really do want, is the LF-A, but with price projections of £200k, i think i'll be waiting 15years+