The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hks cams or Brian crower cams

_Shane_

I have put (just for fun) a set of HKS cams on a cam measuring machine and they were accurate to 3 microns, with superb consistency. I have never seen anything to suggest material spec or hardening leave anything to be desired either. Short of a check on these Crower cams it's hard to say if they are good bad or indifferent. Cams can have the same lift and the same duration but different profiles and very different characteristics. I wouldn't touch Crane cams, I well recall my own big block Chevy engine destroying itself when a new Crane cam that wasn't properly hardened lunched 4 lobes. A second new one wasn't hardened properly, either, and on the cam checker showed alarming machining tolerances. Used Engle cams thereafter with superb results. Be sure these Crower things are machined from blanks, not from OE cams built up and ground.

I have HKS 280's. I was chatting with a member of Supraforums and he was really pleased with his swap to Jun cams, they had a higher lift than the HKS 280's but shorter duration. He felt a real difference after the swap. A lot of the US guys like Crower cams as they have a good reputation.

HKS, Crower, Jun are all good makes, I don't recall any having any issues. There were two HKS (I believe) cams that were allegedly broken in the post. As nearly all cams arrive by post it is most unlikely that the post had any thing to do with the breakage, more likely incorrect fitment, by an ex.net trader.:shock:

If you do a search you will find some excellent research in to cam combinations done by Ian C. It is a must read, IMHO, before buying cams.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I have HKS 280's. I was chatting with a member of Supraforums and he was really pleased with his swap to Jun cams, they had a higher lift than the HKS 280's but shorter duration. He felt a real difference after the swap. A lot of the US guys like Crower cams as they have a good reputation.

HKS, Crower, Jun are all good makes, I don't recall any having any issues. There were two HKS (I believe) cams that were allegedly broken in the post. As nearly all cams arrive by post it is most unlikely that the post had any thing to do with the breakage, more likely incorrect fitment, by an ex.net trader.:shock:

If you do a search you will find some excellent research in to cam combinations done by Ian C. It is a must read, IMHO, before buying cams.

I thought it was Wez who had the broken cams, and Chris spotted it ;)

HKS and JUN proven relaibility and quality

Brain Crower (BC) - new kid on the Block and proving to be just as good for 1/2 the price of the big names

Crower - reading some scary bad reports on them

is there a difference between brian crower and crower then?

is there a difference between brian crower and crower then?

Yeah, Crower cams was the original company, run by Dave and Brian Crower, i think there was some internal dispute and Brian broke away and set up BC to target and develop the Import market as Dave Crower would'nt put any time into it (main development was with domestics)

No fault of JUN at all, just damaged in transit, could have been any cam at all, cast iron cams are brittle and won't stand dropping, being used as levers or stepping stones :)

$^%£ing postal service :complain:

Cams now get 6 inches of bubble wrap around them after that expensive screw up.

• 6 months later...

see this thread please

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=170126

I have been researching lift and it goes as follows

Standard Inlet 8.61 Ex 8.79

HKS 280 9.3 9.3

BC 280 10.79 10.79

GSC Stage 2 10.2 10.2 274 Duration.

SO my brain is telling me to go for BC at half the price but apparent good result have been achieved from the gsc's :search::search:

How Do they compare in price and where can i obtain them?

They have virtually the same lift as BC ones!

I have just spent 2 hours reading supraforums and it seems to revert back to HKS mainly due to the consistent results..compared to very little BC results and a few GSC results (Although better in overall hp gains over lag)

If i am to read into the results i found to be correct gsc stage 2's can see 49hp gains @900hp over hks 280's :search:

Stu

You need to ask if these cams are ground on blanks, or if they are welded and ground, or if they are ground on stock profiles, and end up with a smaller than stock base circle diameter. Manufacturers measure lift and duration umpteen different ways, too, so comparing like for like is a minefield! All I can say from personal experience is that HKS ones are consistent, properly hardened and accurately ground from blanks. You DO NOT want a cam that's been welded or metal sprayed, and then machined to a different profile. They won't tell you unless you specifically ask.

How Do they compare in price and where can i obtain them?

They have virtually the same lift as BC ones!

I have just spent 2 hours reading supraforums and it seems to revert back to HKS mainly due to the consistent results..compared to very little BC results and a few GSC results (Although better in overall hp gains over lag)

If i am to read into the results i found to be correct gsc stage 2's can see 49hp gains @900hp over hks 280's :search:

Stu

Nic can you supply the Jun £??

The Gsc's are made/ground from stock as are the HKS.