The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aircon sorted :)

Guest DrifterWanaB

Guest DrifterWanaB

Since i got my supra the aircon didnt work, the other weekend i had a look and the pump wasnt kicking in. I looked round the car(which has only done under 60k) couldnt seen any cracks in the pipes or rad etc and the pump looked in very good nick, all the contacts looked good and clean, and the hub span nice and free so i presumed the gas was low in the system stopping the pump kicking in.

I saw a advert on the tv that kwik fit where doing a aircon gassing service for £45, so off i went it was sunday and i wasnt booked in or anything

The guys there where great and got the car in straight away! they set the machine up to do itd thing and it foundt here was hardly any gas inthe system so they drained it, vacuumed the system out then pressure tested it. if there was a leak and it wouldnt hold pressure they stop and you dont need to pay.

Well mine didnt have any leaks and they regassed it, from start to finnish the service was great and they kept me upto with each stage of the 1.5 hrs it took, result ice cold air BONZA!

I now had a new problem, the air con at times smells like mouldy wallpaper and sick lol

Well at tesco today i found a product called Kleen Air By CarPlan, its a air cindtioning cleaner and purifier. It says it kills all the bacteria , mould and fungi in the air con unit and its only £5!

Basically its a can of spray that locks open when you press it. you turn your aircon on full blast on recirc, push the passanger seat right forwrd and sit the can down on the floor behind the seat set it off shut the door and leave it for 10 minutes....

well the result........ It actually worked! no more pong from the aircon just a fresh citrus hint, worth every penny!

...It actually worked! no more pong from the aircon just a fresh citrus hint, worth every penny!

Give it time, it may come back once the jiff-lemon smell has worn off.

I've been told the damp dog smell occurs due to lack of usage apparently, if the aircon is used frequently (the longer the journey the better) then the bacteria wont build up.

I've also been told by a pal that switching from max cold to max hot on a long journey can kill the bacteria off - I tried it on a fairly long-ish journey (about 1 hr) and the smell still existed.

I have tried the stuff you've used and at first it was great, but it does come back now and then if the car hasnt been used for a while.