The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch, just let go, help & recommendations

jevansio

Well after an awesome day at Bruntingthorpe yesterday with the Supe holding together real well, the inevitable happened on the way home from work today & the clutch have up :)

I posted in Technical a week or so ago about it becoming increasingly hard to get the biting point, I guess this is the outcome.

I managed to restart the car in 1st then get to 2nd & 3rd and limp home. The car is going to Motoscope very soon for diagnosis. The clutch fluid is under the min now (it was fine yesterday as I checked it when we came home). It's also making a slight noise (best I can describe is like the chatter from a car with a lightweight flywheel only slightly worse).

I'm assuming the slave (or master) cylinder seals is the most likely point of failure here? The biting point has dropped & selecting reverse has become increasingly harder over the last week.

I'm hopefully going to use this event to ditch the pig hard RPS Stage 3 for something that can handle the power equally yet drive a lot better, would appreciate your comments. I myself always said the RPS Carbon Carbon, does this drive like stock or is it very "on / off"?

Loved my exeddy twin, took serious amounts of abuse made next to no noise and was easy to use.

I phoned Motoscope as soon as it happened, they say they can get Exeddy to make one to the requirements of the car and make it as drivable as I want, so Exeddy is also high up on my list ATM. Would it be better to buy an off the shelf Exeddy Supra clutch, or getting them to make one specially?

Hey mate I have run the Exeddy twin plate in my old supra it takes a while to get used to but after that I loved it, took some abuse and never let me down.

I now have the RPS carbon carbo n in my new supra its the nuts, pedal is not far from stock the warmer it is the easyer it drives apparently the only clutch you will every have to buy

Hey mate I have run the Exeddy twin plate in my old supra it takes a while to get used to but after that I loved it, took some abuse and never let me down.

I now have the RPS carbon carbo n in my new supra its the nuts, pedal is not far from stock the warmer it is the easyer it drives apparently the only clutch you will every have to buy

how much "rattle" do you get with this uint

Mine's an Exedy Twin Steel Jay, was similar in feel and bite to the Carbon i had before

Looks like these 2 are neck & neck ATM, PM'ing ya now bud

Again these 2 clutches are very highly rated from people who have driven both, it's gonna be on the toss of a coin I think. I went hunting through the ads for that clutch and saw you got it :D damn :D

:D I was going to get another exeddy twin plate off a trader on ebay but this one come up I could not resist, the rattle is the same as the others I have had.

I would go for the exeddy unless you get a good deal on the Carbon carbon, both great clutches just the price of a new rps scares me :D

To be honest most of the twin plates are the same but some will engage a little easyer but most will take a few days to get used to, bedding them in is something else :D I was either stalling mine or doing rolling burn outs in it just to pull away normally, was a bloody embarresment but after a couple hundred miles it beded in and become a nice clutch

I hate my OS Giken, mainly because of the lightened flywheel. It rattles and can be a pig to drive away from a standstill at times. It MIGHT not be set up correctly, and it's on it's way out, so maybe a new one is different but for £1,250 + fitting I doubt I'll be finding out any time soon.