The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm new and contemplating a supra

Guest freshprince

Guest freshprince

Good morning,

Quick into, currently I drive a Vauxhall Vectra and have owned 3 of them, these were for practical reasons and I'm now starting to want something a little nicer.

My main worries about getting a Supra are the running cost and whether I will be able to fit in one.

So, I suppose a few questions are in order, how much is the average monthly running cost on a supra for someone doing 1500 miles a month? (Most economical Supra, not fussy on getting the most powerful etc)

And will I fit in one, being that i'm 6'6?

Cheers

I realise this is straight to the point, but with the 20 post limit I'm getting questions straight in there.

Edited by freshprince (see edit history)

Welcome to the club!

Running costs: servicing isn't any more expensive than any other big-engined car. I'd recommend you look into getting a normally-aspirated (NA) one: to the casual observer they are indistinguishable from the twin-turbo version (unlike other car models where the lower-spec models tend to have pared-down styling). The twin-turbo is reliable, but the NA is super-reliable. No turbos means less bits to go wrong.

I get 26mpg out of my NA (although I don't have a heavy right foot), so from that you can work out the cost of doing 1500 miles.

Insurance: obviously heavily dependent on your circumstances (age, postcode, NCD, etc etc). Best to get some quotes, but do make absolutely sure they quote you for a mk4 supra and not a mk3. Also make sure they know it's an imported model (UK models are comparatively rare) as this makes a big difference to the insurance, and not in a good way!

Servicing: I would think servicing costs are only 20% higher-ish than a vectra. I change my engine oil every 6000 miles, and get a mechanic friend to do a full service every 12000 (i.e. once a year). The NAs can take standard 95 RON unleaded petrol and are more tolerant to less frequent oil changes. The supra is no different to other cars in the parts that replacing at a service. No bespoke parts that need changing every 30,000 miles and cost £1000 for example!

As for your height, there are some big lads on here who fit OK, although it's best to have a sit in one asap. If you don't fit comfortably, it's a show-stopper! :)

Maybe come along to a meet? There's one in Reading every month (all Jap cars, not just supras although there's usually a few supes)

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Also remember tax is going up again so we are all going to get raped with the cost, Is it any thing over 2ltr or 2.2 is going to be over £400 a year? at the moment its 190 or some thing which isnt to bad.. well it is really but..

when you say 1500 is that motorway miles if so theres a few on here who can sqeez 30mpg to be honest the TT isnt much less dempending if you can drive light footed but there is a bigger chance of more things going wrong also turbos can be quite expensive to replace.

The supra is an absolute tardis for interior legroom and headroom, I'm 6'7 and have absolutetly no hassle at all, you'll probably find you have more headroom and legroom than your vectra ! ;) (with standard seats, if the seats have been changed then results may vary but generally similar results)

Guest freshprince
So how much will i have to pay? Mine is M plate.

I think the same amount as you are now ;)

Oh and thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm now finding myself more tempted, How much should I look at spending on a Supra to get a good quality?

also, are there common faults I should look for?

isnt the new tax law thats coming in next year based on engine size? or does it take the date of registerd into consideration aswell, or just when the car was made?

Ie like what happend this year, example supra 1993 but registerd after 2004 is it? = £400 a year but any thing before 04 is £185?

Guest Angry Koala
isnt the new tax law thats coming in next year based on engine size? or does it take the date of registerd into consideration aswell, or just when the car was made?

Ie like what happend this year, example supra 1993 but registerd after 2004 is it? = £400 a year but any thing before 04 is £185?

Tax on vehicles registered pre-2001 or as pre-2001 (imports) over 1594cc (ie over 90% of Supras - very few 2002 cars around) will be £185.00 this year, £200 in 2009 and £210 from April 2010.

There are some exceptions for newer cars (1997 onwards) whose CO2 figure appears on the V5 - these will get nailed with the £400+ tax laws.

I think the same amount as you are now ;)

Oh and thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm now finding myself more tempted, How much should I look at spending on a Supra to get a good quality?

also, are there common faults I should look for?

For a very good manual 5 speed NA, I'd say budget £5k. Don't necessarily be put off if you see them on sale for less though, prices have dropped a fair bit recently.

Common faults? All I can think of is stuff that's simply age-related: tired heater matrix (check that the cabin heater gets nice and hot), valve stem seals (blue exhaust smoke on start-up). Other than that, just do the usual checks when buying 2nd hand. If the aircon doesn't work, it *probably* just needs regassing, but that gives you a bit of bargaining power.

Guest freshprince
Running costs are very expensive, yes you will fit.

define very expensive...

Just trying to work out my budget etc.

I disagree Nic. Especially with an NA or unmodified TT, I think running costs are comparable to other, "sensible" cars. Fuel will be a hefty expense, but one that can be predicted.

I agree main expenses being fuel/insurance/tax/ general maintenance, it all mounts up of course but modifications are the slippy slope and really put your expenses up.

Fortunately the supra is pretty reliable for its age so thats one plus thing.

Edited by Rayman (see edit history)

Guest freshprince

Well, the supra is a nice enough looking car for me not to need to modify it ;)

Would you say it is a good first sports car, or should I get something like an MR2 first?

Cheers

FP

Well, the supra is a nice enough looking car for me not to need to modify it ;)

Would you say it is a good first sports car, or should I get something like an MR2 first?

Cheers

FP

I'd just go for what you prefer. I wouldn't recommend buying another car as an interim, waste of money.

Some people get "caught out" when moving up to a supra from a much less powerful car, but with an NA that's less likely to happen (no turbos to come on boost when you least want it). I've always liked the MR2s as well, but it would just bug me only having 2 seats. I use my supra every day, so it has to have an element of practicality to it.

Guest freshprince
I'd just go for what you prefer. I wouldn't recommend buying another car as an interim, waste of money.

Some people get "caught out" when moving up to a supra from a much less powerful car, but with an NA that's less likely to happen (no turbos to come on boost when you least want it). I've always liked the MR2s as well, but it would just bug me only having 2 seats. I use my supra every day, so it has to have an element of practicality to it.

would you genuinely describe it as a practical? Can people ever sit in the back?

When you say caught out, do you just mean it will have higher performance?

I wouldn't say an MR2 was a good first sports car, maybe something powerful but still FWD would be best - a Leon Cupra R or something like that... anyway the Supra isn't a difficult car to get along with, it handles well, drives smooth and accelerates quickly, you just need to treat it with a bit of respect in the wet and all will be fine :)

Fuel, tyres, general maintenance are all expensive on the Supra, but no more so than any other car of this calibre, they're very reliable if well maintained.

I've had 4 people in mine before... not comfortably, but we were all in at least.

Guest freshprince
I wouldn't say an MR2 was a good first sports car, maybe something powerful but still FWD would be best - a Leon Cupra R or something like that... anyway the Supra isn't a difficult car to get along with, it handles well, drives smooth and accelerates quickly, you just need to treat it with a bit of respect in the wet and all will be fine :)

Fuel, tyres, general maintenance are all expensive on the Supra, but no more so than any other car of this calibre, they're very reliable if well maintained.

I've had 4 people in mine before... not comfortably, but we were all in at least.

Being that I've never owned a car of this calibre I don't really know what the costs are likely to be. I've found a nice looking n/a import for 3.5k and looks like a good car.

But I don't know how much it is likely to cost me in the long run... :S

Ok, well rough figures of what I pay every year:

£50 - MOT

£200 - Tax

£600 - Insurance

£250 - Tyres

£400 - General Maintenance (Oil, Filters, Brakes etc.)

£2160 - Fuel (8000 miles, 20mpg @ £1.20 a litre)

Very rough figures as obviously you might need to spend more on maintenance one year and your insurance will be different etc. But yeah I'd say without other modifications I spend around £3660 a year running my supra...

If you go straight to a TT & have a heavy right foot, i think it could end in tears, even N/A's are well quick compared to what you've got. It will cost more to run than your vectra but then again it could well be more reliable.

To my mind its a 2 seater i'm only 5'10' and my seat touches the rear seats, u can fit 4 if desparate & don't mind sitting on the sterring wheel.