The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil leak

bmx1lew

got some photos when I had the car jacked up today, there is a oil leak but not sure where it is coming from, I have kept a close eye on my oil levels and transmition levels and they havent dropped Nor is there oil dripping on the floor where park, I need to get the under trays off for a proper look as they could be soaking the oil up.

Any Ideas on where it is coming from, The back of the Head has some dried up oils so could do with the seals done then a fat pipe looks like its leaking water.. Think its the heater matrix pipe? I will get pics tomorrow.

all under the car is covered in oil

Lew.

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

Personally i'd get the main engine undertray off too, its just lots of 10mm bolts and goes back easily enough, as the source could be further forward and the oil is just being blown back.

Look for oil anywhere on the engine itself, particularly at the very back of the engine (between the block and the bulkhead), the lower passenger side of the block (its should be bone dry) and then the very front of the engine right down below the crank pulley.

Main/common engine oil leaks are from the

Front crank seal

Oil pressure switch (Block pass side front)

Oil filter (Block pass side midway)

Camcovers (will see oil from above - unless leak is at the very back of the engine)

Rear crank seal (would expect little oil ahead of the engine/gearbox joint)

If you can't take off the undertray then take some pics from the engine bay down into depths of the engine from by the power steering reservior, one slightly forwards towards the aircon pump and one slight back towards the low oil level sensor (down near the dipstick tube). Also take one from by the ABS unit/charcoal cannister.

I will do, Just had it up on the ramps today as I messed up when attempting the First decat..

snapped the studds, but got 3 new toyota ones and nuts for a £1 :D, should have that sorted tomorrow then I will finaly be BPU :D :D :D

Back to the leak the back right corner of the head is leaking quite a bit so need to get a new gasket and that should fix the leak however I think what has also made it look worse is the heater matrix pipe is leaking allot so going to put a better clamp on it, I reckon the water and oil has been running down the back of the block then wind has spread it.

I will have a bigger look once the trays are off, fingers crossed it ante to bad.

Lew.

Could be something as simple as loose cam cover bolts steam the whole engine, bay and underside off on a ramp and go from there. Has the auto box sump been off and refitted using red chewing gum :)

Is it easy getting the bolts out on the cam cover, when taking the map sensor off the bolts snapped when loosening them, just need some new one's, by the way what size are they?

Lew.

I don't follow this at al! Have you snapped some cam cover bolts /studs, or are you saying you are frightened to re torque the cam cover fastenings due to the fact you snapped OTHER bolts when trying to remove them? To check the torque on the cam cover bolts / stud nuts there's no need to remove them...

Guest gigerj

Looks like leaky cam cover gasket to me. The oil flows down from the cam cover area at the back of the engine and usually ends up all sludgey in the areas you've photographed.

Quite common on high mileage cars Im told...

I don't follow this at al! Have you snapped some cam cover bolts /studs, or are you saying you are frightened to re torque the cam cover fastenings due to the fact you snapped OTHER bolts when trying to remove them? To check the torque on the cam cover bolts / stud nuts there's no need to remove them...

pretty much, I mean I tried to remove the bolts on the sensor they snapped so Im a bit weary of lossening the cam cover bolts to replace the gasket seal.

Not being rude, but is there a job you have completed successfully yet?!

I admire your persistence, most owners would have taken it to a garage by now!

Well Most owners are happy to keep paying some one else to do the work or they dont like to tinker around on there engine/car, I on the other hand have allways wanted to learn more about working on cars so I can do things my self. People allways tell me the only way to learn is to try yourself so thats what Im doing, your not born with knowlage eh learn from mistakes.. bugger it up or cant do it then pay some one. Then maybe next time when I have more knowlage I will know what to do.

So far every thing else I've done has gone great only cock up was the fuel pump was sent the wrong one, didnt realised till I had cut the wires went to fit it and then I seen that it was the wrong one! (uk pump same pump just the filter is in a differnt place, thats all!) But as said before Terminator AKA Phil Gave me advice on how to securley fit the pump so it will still fit in the cage, which it is now. It may not be stock fitment so yeah its bodge but it ante going any where, How else do people fit seconds pumps if using a stock hanger.. bodged on but they work fine.

so that and the decat bolts are the only thing that has gone wrong so far and after searching the forum It seems like its common for them to snap, so I think Im not doing to bad for a non mechanicly minded person.

Lew.

I think Im not doing to bad for a non mechanicly minded person.

Statements like this kind of hint that it might be best that you stop trying to work on the car yourself. If you can't do such basic jobs like change a fuel pump without a bodge suggests you should leave your modification plans to a professional or at least mechanically competent person.

No offensive meant, it’s honest advice fella

so that and the decat bolts are the only thing that has gone wrong so far and after searching the forum It seems like its common for them to snap, so I think Im not doing to bad for a non mechanicly minded person.

Lew.

Yeah fair play to you mate

To be fair, i think i have fitted 3 or 4 Walbros and never bodged one (Jspec pump kits onto jspec pump brackets) and perhaps done 7 or 8 decats without issue.

Perhaps just the luck of the draw :)

Well of course the Jspec pump is going to go on the jspec hanger fine.

this is what i mean.. on the uk pump, the top and bottom of it are facing 180 degree's round the other way so the pump pipes dont meet flush and the filter wont go on due to the cage.

any way I sorted it the other day by clamping the pump to the cage also it is flush with the pump pipe so no problem at all also it wont vibrate loose as tightly fitted to the cage.