The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock recirc pressure rating

mikeyb10supra

im currently using a stock recirc valve on my BPU supra but been having thoughts about changing to an adjustable recirc. I believe the stock one is set to actuate at 0.9bar so surely this is no good for BPU? I guess your not losing boost as such but will it be bleeding away boost once is sees a pressure increase of 0.9bar and starts to open?

cheers

Mikey

They don't work like that, they open under vacuum, not pressure. Under boost they see equal boost pressure either side of the diaphragm, under lift off they see boost one side, vac the other, so snap open.

Ah excellent thanks for clearing that up Chris, so at 1.1 bar I take it this will be ok. Might try and pick myself up a low milage one then :)

It should be fine (leak wise) a 4 bar, let alone one and a bit :)

Chris, another question. I have this back on now and there is a more exaggerated turbo sound?? I know this sounds really weird, but I never got this with the HKS unit that was on there before. The only way I can describe it is like an exaggerated turbo spool noise which was not as prominent before. Now at first I put this down to a leak but im 99% sure its not as I have checked over pratically every pipe in the bay and nipped up all of them

Any ideas? do stock recirc cars make more noise when getting on boost??

These valves shouldn't be opening or making ANY noise until you jift off the throttle during an on boost period of running. Just blank the damned thing off and bin it, job sorted ;)

ha ha I did think this when I was messing around with it....I might test it at the weekend and blank it off to see if this noise goes away, that way it rules out the problem of it being the recirc itself...failing that I need to chack over the damn intercooler pipes again and test out peak boost levels to rule out any sort of leak :(

I turned up two alloy bungs, one for the TB end of the IC piping, and one for the turbo end. One has a Schraeder valve (tyre valve) threaded in. I jsut pressurise the whole caboodle to 1.5 bar and see if it's airtight. I have been amazed over the years just how many set ups leak, and in bizarre ways, too.

I turned up two alloy bungs, one for the TB end of the IC piping, and one for the turbo end. One has a Schraeder valve (tyre valve) threaded in. I jsut pressurise the whole caboodle to 1.5 bar and see if it's airtight. I have been amazed over the years just how many set ups leak, and in bizarre ways, too.

Yep, exactly what I was considering doing, whats the best pump to use for an accurate pressure input chris....obviously something with some sort of pressure reading device installed, or could maybe use my boost gauge? I have seen these boost leak test kits but never to convinced. Only other thing I can do is check for oil residue around the leak site

was looking at this but not too sure

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-87413.html

I guess it would be good practice anyway now the old supras are getting on a bit :)

Edited by mikeyb10supra (see edit history)