The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The smokey supra question again sorry?

simonf

Hi everyone, now I've done the search and seen this an inherit problem that it's valve stem seals or turbo oil seals, as it is a bpu jap supra lol. Now my baby gets a bit of white smoke on a cold start up, stops after about 10 sec's. Now this happens on warm dry days so my hope of condensation has gone lol. Also I've noticed when the car has been pootling round town off turbos, so nice and hot, when I leave the car sitting for about a minute the blip the throttle to about 14/1500 rpm I get a bit of darker smoke.

Does this mean I will be waving bye to £4k for re-con tubbies and new stem seals. Also I don't really wanna take it off the road yet as its only really just got back on, but the car is off the road again in Oct for winter, so my question will I bollock anything up if I keep running it till then with them symptoms?

I know this question gets thrown about a lot so thanks for any replys.

Cheers Gaz, as I said just wanna enjoy this Summer in it then send it down to Mr Wilson in winter to get any problems sorted.

Also top avatar mate is that your Supe that tryin to be a flame thrower Cool.

Be good o use on them buses and white vans that seem to like getting really close to my back end at traffic lights lol.

I will film my supra on start up and you guys can tell me if I have the same problem I get a huge cloud of white smoke when I mean huge I mean when I start the car people who are sitting in the beer garden where it is parked start wafting it out of there faces.. Every one tells me its condensation, I do have quite a fat exhaust 4" mid pipe 5" back box, so I would guess there is more room for a bigger condensasion build up

Think it's only condensation when its pretty cold or wet fraid to say. Mine hasnt got to that stage yet where you need to waft. As Gaz said valve stem seals mate part costs about 23p labour costs bout £900 :( if they have to take the head off some people on here have devised away if your good with a spanner and peice of rope.

i noticed mine doing it for the first time friday morning, my car has 80000miles on it, i had this week off so havint used the car all week and i jumped in it friday i started her up and pulled straight off, (normally i seem to sit there for a short while before i pull off). there was a pretty decent blue cloud behind me, ok after, one thing ive noticed is i use my car every day to work and back 20mile round trip and it does not smoke on start up at all if i use my car car everyday, only if its been parked up for 3days+, oil level is always spot on, i remember my old xr2i used to do it. dont think its much to think about to be honest, its an engine at the end of the day.

looks like stem seals, condensation would usually smoke (white) longer

General rule of thumb is:

Burning Oil - Blue Smoke

White - Condensation/coolant

black - fuel

smoke in the 2nd vid is condensation

Trust me mine is worse than than lol, i wouldnt worry to much just might be worth getting the stem seals done at some point in the near future.

p.s that burble sounds awsome

that burble is no longer there, put a decat on today (2nd) I attempted the first and snapped a bolt so the exhuaust is blowing.. sounds weired now :blink: I will record it for ya Apexi GT FTW

looks like stem seals, condensation would usually smoke (white) longer

General rule of thumb is:

Burning Oil - Blue Smoke

White - Condensation/coolant

black - fuel

smoke in the 2nd vid is condensation

so what do you think, the first vid is the same car, Stem seals or condensation?

so what do you think, the first vid is the same car, Stem seals or condensation?

Yep looks like stems seals but not too bad as mine has deteriorated quickly within the last couple of months and now smokes when pulling away from traffic lights once its nice and warm.

that burble is no longer there, put a decat on today (2nd) I attempted the first and snapped a bolt so the exhuaust is blowing.. sounds weired now :blink: I will record it for ya Apexi GT FTW

Guted man,i HATE exhausts i really dont touch them anymore i just get someone else to do it. For some reason i always end up getting a drill out lol

Yep looks like stems seals but not too bad as mine has deteriorated quickly within the last couple of months and now smokes when pulling away from traffic lights once its nice and warm.

so are you going to get this repaird or is it some thing that is not that important?

Lew.

The first vid seems to be stems seals by the way the smoke shot out...seemed like kind of a build up...:blink:

The second vid is condensation, mine is like that, just gently wafts into the air...only in cold weather, the condensation shows up...:)

what I will do is leave it over night then start her up tomorrow morning and do another recording, is the stems seals worth getting done, I found the guide on how to change them, looks way to tech for me but I would be willing to give it ago... I think

what I will do is leave it over night then start her up tomorrow morning and do another recording, is the stems seals worth getting done, I found the guide on how to change them, looks way to tech for me but I would be willing to give it ago... I think

Yeh go for it, whats the worst that could happen...eh? ;)

heres the guide, Im a noob but trying to learn so far done 2nd decat + fuel pump, FCD With help( first time I have cut into the ECU scarey!) also my gauges.. this on the other hand looks like expert work.. I could change the 1st decat(snapped 1 of the bolts ) Im a bit put off on this

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859&highlight=heater+matrix

heres the guide, Im a noob but trying to learn so far done 2nd decat + fuel pump, FCD With help( first time I have cut into the ECU scarey!) also my gauges.. this on the other hand looks like expert work.. I could change the 1st decat(snapped 1 of the bolts ) Im a bit put off on this

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859&highlight=heater+matrix

Bugger that mate! Im reasonably clue'd up on cars but not that technical!

I know its a lot of cash but, if i were you, i would leave that to someone who knows exactly what they are doing lol...:)