The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dirty Fuel Pump cage

bmx1lew

I've Just Bought a Fuel Pump cage for a UK Spec. The reason been Is In error when buying a new welbro pump I was sold a UK spec Instead of a Jspec as needed, so rather than go through the riffraff of trying to get it swapped I thought It would be easier to get the UK spec cage Also saves allot of money and the trouble of trying to sell the pump.

I now have the UK spec cage, my plan is to completely swap everything over so all I am using is the cage and new pump, however the cage is extremely dirty. When pulling my fuel pump out I can remember mine been spotless on the other hand this one is covered in what is like a dry white rust. My Guess is I don’t want to be putting any thing dirty into the tank, does anyone know what this is from what you can see in the pics?

What should I use to clean it, If It won’t come off will it be ok in the tank?

Also it came with a Fuel pump control unit, is this any good for any one I’m guessing I don’t need it?

Lew.

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

Worse.

Just buy a Jspec pump, sell yours at a bargain price and learn to research things more thoroughly in the future.

I did my research actually it was only a simple number and human error that has cost me the extra money so wasnt really a bargin in the end so loosing out even more buy selling it cheap is just a kick in the balls even more. I was sold the pump from a member off here and he sold me it in good faith that it was a Jspec, Who I trust and I am not angry nor upset about it as im just as daft for not realising myself, so really I just want to get it fitted, I only realised after I had weird it up ect so I've bodged it in but I want it fixed in correctly incase it pops out the cage or the filter pops off.

The pump and hanger are typical of an old installation and a pump that has been out of the tank a while. I have a UK pump that is just the same perhaps worse. The pump actually works fine. I cleaned of the deposits on the hanger and pump and with a nylon scratcher pad, fitted the pump in the hanger and put it in the tank.

As far as I am aware, the only difference between the JDM and UK Walbro's is the location of the locating lug that goes in the rubber bit at the bottom of the hanger. In electrical terms they are identical.

If you use couple of Jubilee clips to hold the pump to the hanger, you can dispense with the rubber locater and run which ever pump you want in either the UK or JDM hanger.

When you run multiple pumps you have no choice but to use clips to hold the pumps on to the hanger, unless you shell out for a purpose built multi pump hanger. With Jubilee clips the price they are it is bit of a no brainer.