The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help!! NA Crank Pulley needed fast!!

Havard

The car goes to Le Mans on Wednesday and my local garage has just rang to say that the pulley needs replacing. It was taken in this morning to have the cam belt replaced and now this........:(

Can someone please advise if this sounds right??

I also need to get hold of a new pulley before Tuesday at the latest!!

H.

Is there only one crank pulley?

Is it also easily to be damaged when removed?

I can't believe that I put the car into the garage to have the belt changed and I am now in this crisis........:blink:

Toyota can't get one to me before Tuesday....FFS!!

H.

I can't believe that I put the car into the garage to have the belt changed and I am now in this crisis........:blink:

H.

Dont know the terminolgy but i'd asume that only one of the 3 (think) pullies are would be classed as the crank pully.

I'm guessing the crank pulley separated when they took it off. They are like one metal ring inside another one & joined with rubber (that's how it dampens). This perishes over time and then separates! Your lucky it didn't happen on the way to Le Mans! I got a 2nd hand one from Jody T when mine broke. I know Paul Whiffin usually has them in stock or maybe able to get them quickly. You could also give keron a shout. There was one on my old engine but I’m not sure if he's still got it... :)

Oh and NA / TT ones are the same ;)

H.

Mate, ask them how they got the crank pulley undone. i.e Did they use the special tool to hold the pulley in place and if not how did they stop it from turning when they undid the bolt. Maybe they clamped the outer part of the crank pully to stop it from turning and this would have killed the rubber very quickly.

NA and TT are the same I believe.

Its likely they used heat to remove, thats the main killer. If so they should replace it as they are dumb :p

More than likely, however even Toyota do it by this method, but any garage should advise that the crank pulley may need replacing if they are going to use a torch on the bolt.

I don't think you'll get them to replace it at their cost, it'll be abot £200 from Toyota.

No I didnt learn a new word, what i did learn, at around age 6, was how to spell. Wanna try that one?

Nah, didnt think so. When you can spell, then and only then you can perhaps think about taking the piss out of my intelligence. Until then f*** off.

oh the irony beaker!! my last post was spelt perfectly, yet yours on the other hand had the following mistakes:

Wanna: Want

Nah: No

Didnt: Didn't x2

Full stop after "word", not a comma

maybe a trip back to primary?

My life is over. Thick Matt is correcting my spelling :(

Want me to trawl the forum to find your mistakes? Apart from a tangerine mistake of course.

Cock

no, i dont care about trying to spell perfectly on a social forum. not a priority for me, as it obviously is for you beaker. You know, people that feel they have to prove themselves tend to have something to prove..

Surely there's some infractions due here. thats two swear words in one thread tut tut. Extinguish your flamey tongue beaker!

I doubt ill get any myself ;)

Besides just as 'beaker' is your comedy name for me, my comedy name for you is 'cock'

aside from yours isn't funny! :rlol:

i know about the infractions thing, what a task you must endure at the mod parties to stay keep in with them

Beaker at mod mansion last month:

[http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00070/ed_imgSNN0305A_70935a.jpg

You suck at posting pics almost as much as at choosing paint colours.

The irony i mentioned earlier was thus:-

You have no mechanical knowledge Paul asked for a crank pulley you offer him cam pulleys!) are as thick as they come, and yet you think you can call me dumb?! :rlol:

FWIW i have no involvement with the mods, i just doubt ill get an infraction because not that many people have any respect for you. You think you can have a pop at people with no repercussions (that means effects).

If i do get an infraction it will have been utterly worth it and ill wear it as a badge of pride.

Ooh, put the handbags away girls........;)

I'm guessing the crank pulley separated when they took it off. They are like one metal ring inside another one & joined with rubber (that's how it dampens). This perishes over time and then separates! Your lucky it didn't happen on the way to Le Mans! I got a 2nd hand one from Jody T when mine broke. I know Paul Whiffin usually has them in stock or maybe able to get them quickly. You could also give keron a shout. There was one on my old engine but I’m not sure if he's still got it... :)

Oh and NA / TT ones are the same ;)

Thanks Rob. I've got sorted with a new one from Toyota. My car has now done 84K miles and it looks as if the belt has never been changed. The have struggled to get to pulley off and have used heat and a rubber mallet. It is debatable as to whether they have buggered it or not but I can't really argue with them as they have done me a few favours of late. Seeing that this is a 12 year old pulley then I am not really that upset about shelling out the £200 for a new part. The new pulley will be collected in the morning, all being well.......;)

I did have a chance to get a free one off Hoff but it wasn't worth the risk with a 1300 mile round trip coming up.......;) Oh and I got 15% off the price of the pulley from HW Moon Toyota in Wigan.......:)

The irony is that the belt is in amazing condition.......:blink:

Try and get a new one if possible as i can be failse economy. I know there not cheap but its worth it IMO.

See above, but thanks for the advice matey boy!!

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

my car is at jezz's too could of asked for my old one

Thanks mate but I was a little worried if they generally get damaged on removal. I would be pissed if the car broke down in France after I had cut a few corners!!

Hopefully the car will be ready for Monday. I just feel like I have been mugged for 200 notes......:blink:

H.

I don't think it is that many miles away from needing replacement under service schedule anyway.

Better having it replaced rather than have it fail under load and dent your bonnet or put a hole in your undertray, they are not cheap though are they :(