The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please help, my door is locked shut!!

sexysupra

Have been putting my car back today after a respray and got to the passenger door lock. Put the handles back in fine. Shut the door tried it and it was fine. I then Did the drivers door and noticed that a little push switch wire had come out (dont know what that does :blink:). Continued putting the handle and lock back in, thats ok, tried locking with the key, remote central locking was working fine. Then tried opening the passenger door and its stuck shut:rolleyes:.

My boyfriend and his mate have spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to open but to no avail. the rods seem to work, and they got open the plastic case in the door which covers the lock mechinism. Things seem to be moving about in there but its just not opening. Can anyone suggest a way to get the door open so i can take the lock out and get a second hand unit from somewhere. The only was i can see would be to drill out the three bolts from behind, but thats gonna be a right messy job trying to do that.

hope some one can help :(

thanks for the reply chris but thats not quite the problem. I can get inside the car fine from the drivers door. This locks and unlocks ok. But the pass door will not open from the inside or outside handle or lock. I can see the rods are moving fine so it much be a problem in the lock mechanism itself. It would be easy enough to do with the door open because i could just remove the 3 or 4 star bolts holding the mechanism in and look at it frmo there but as the door is shut its a little more involved then that

Guest mattsupra
Fair point, well received. My Mancunian background coming to the fore... :)

lmao

i dont think it matters where you live now a days mate

there is always some little twat who would take it for themselves

Ahh, right, I see now. You may have to sacrifice an interior door panel to the cause :( Investigate the potential for external to the door interior wiring problems first, before you call for your mate Stanley.

oh so you think it would be a wiring issue then?? I would havethought the wiring would be ok as when the doors are locked via drivers side door key or button on drivers door card the pasenger one still operates.

BTW, All the doorcard on the passenger door is stripped so its easy to see everything. Would toyota know the answer to this one??

I was an expert at getting these off a few months ago when I was test fitting my carbon doors,

If you have the interior panel off then you have to either look down the back of the door - nearest the rear of the car - with your head stuck in the gap or using a mirror and see if the handle mechanism is still in tact, when you pull the handle it should pull a galvanised rod out and up, this is the action of opening the door

If thats not working, undo the white clip - its a bit of plastic and try pulling the rod as much as you can yourself, if it doesnt move you will have to rotate the illuminous green clip and pull

If you cant get to them try taking the handle off its two philips screws Toyota have conveniently left two holes here for your screw driver

If the door has locked and you cant unlock it then again undo the rod thats connected to the lock and try pulling it towards you - if both of those techniques dont work then your door may be misaligned

One option is to get your passenger side front wheel off, pull back/to the side your front inner wing guard shine a torch through and you will see the bolts for the hinges, think theres 4 in total, they'll be on real tight, but undo them with a socket and extension set and hopefully someone inside the car can push while you pull the door from the outside slowly

The doors are fooking heavy!!Put something like a wheel under the door so its door height - and if it starts to loosen off rest it on the wheel

HTH, trying to locate the handle and locking mechanisms are a royal p.i.t.a but I reckon this is probably the problem!

I was an expert at getting these off a few months ago when I was test fitting my carbon doors,

If you have the interior panel off then you have to either look down the back of the door - nearest the rear of the car - with your head stuck in the gap or using a mirror and see if the handle mechanism is still in tact, when you pull the handle it should pull a galvanised rod out and up, this is the action of opening the door

If thats not working, undo the white clip - its a bit of plastic and try pulling the rod as much as you can yourself, if it doesnt move you will have to rotate the illuminous green clip and pull

If you cant get to them try taking the handle off its two philips screws Toyota have conveniently left two holes here for your screw driver

If the door has locked and you cant unlock it then again undo the rod thats connected to the lock and try pulling it towards you - if both of those techniques dont work then your door may be misaligned

One option is to get your passenger side front wheel off, pull back/to the side your front inner wing guard shine a torch through and you will see the bolts for the hinges, think theres 4 in total, they'll be on real tight, but undo them with a socket and extension set and hopefully someone inside the car can push while you pull the door from the outside slowly

The doors are fooking heavy!!Put something like a wheel under the door so its door height - and if it starts to loosen off rest it on the wheel

HTH, trying to locate the handle and locking mechanisms are a royal p.i.t.a but I reckon this is probably the problem!

thanks mate, that seems the best response so far. I will remove the handle again tommorow and try but i dont think this will do anything. I have peeled back the arch lining and can see the hinges, these should be pretty easy to remove as i have had the doors off once already. Ill give that a go and let you know