The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing GT4088R with T51R Kai

jevansio

Hypothetically, would it be OK to replace the GT40 with the T51R with the rest of my spec remaining the same? I understand a new downpipe & midpipe will be in order. It's 4" / 2.5" compressor in / out which is the same. Will need that T4 to vband adapter for the manifold.

I'm more concerned about things like fuelling being upto the job, will my available rev range

Any reasons why this turbo is a bad choice over the GT4088R?

I had several chats about going T51 when i decided to change the T04R, it was a tough choice because I am a sucker for big power figures, but I have been there too many times before with Skylines and ended up with a car that was no fun on the road, I think the T67 DBB has to be as big as you go for the street, unless you are looking for a drag queen of course :D

I had several chats about going T51 when i decided to change the T04R, it was a tough choice because I am a sucker for big power figures, but I have been there too many times before with Skylines and ended up with a car that was no fun on the road, I think the T67 DBB has to be as big as you go for the street, unless you are looking for a drag queen of course :D

It's def not going to be a drag queen. I'm going to get my arse to some events this summer & see how the GT4088R feels. I know bigger turbos are going to be worse on a track but I have this desire to see 200mph out of the Supra, & I don't think the GT40 is going to cut it.

The T67 may have been a better initial choice, but it seems a bit pointless changing from the GT40 to the T67 as there's not that much it it. If I were to change I'd want a decent jump (the T51R Kai is a 71mm turbo???).

I knew it :D

Lol, I did say hypothetically :D

I thnk ash runs 8k. Is there any reason why you couldntrun up to 8k?

I don't know, will have to ask Michel what it's capable of.

You will be fine with 880's its not going to spool as good as your 4088 but for a big turbo they aint bad.

Michels turbo seems a good unit to me, ryan was telling me it spools better than the T51 bb.

Michels was another choice I was considering, his SP74DBB spools amazingly well.

Subscribed for when mine goes pop...

:D

Yeah thinking about the T51R spl for the R32.

The SPL is the big mother isn't it (76mm) with the Kai being 71mm (taken from Andy H :D)

Id go for the 74dbb with a .81 ar:)

It would def be a toss up between the T51R Kai & the 74DBB, as long as I can just plop the turbo on & my existing spec can make good use of it, if I had to redo half of my spec just because the turbo is too big I'd rather just plump for a T67 if... when my GT4088R is taken by the magical blade nibbling mouse :D

Jay, it's a pretty big step up to the T51, have you seen Ryan's dyno comparison on the torque delivery?

I've only been in one T71 supra and it felt much slower at sub 100mph, but obviously on full boost was an animal. It was a non-DBB version, but how much difference does that make on a large turbo like this?

Jay, it's a pretty big step up to the T51, have you seen Ryan's dyno comparison on the torque delivery?

I've only been in one T71 supra and it felt much slower at sub 100mph, but obviously on full boost was an animal. It was a non-DBB version, but how much difference does that make on a large turbo like this?

Yeah I know, it's going to be tough deciding how big to go, I've been in and up against Michels 74DBB & TBH I'd be quite happy with the way it performs.

slightly off topic.. did you get your old GT40 repaired or did you buy a new one? not having much joy on uk service for mine :(

I ordered a T67DBB..

I heard the mouse is travelling south this weekend :innocent:

I've been told it was unrepairable being a DBB housing, nobody wanted to touch it. I bought a brand new turbo.

My gut feeling is even if a got a T67, within a year I'd want something bigger, but I guess it's always the way.

Yeah no doubt it won't be chipping in for petrol costs either :D

I've been in and up against Michels 74DBB & TBH I'd be quite happy with the way it performs.

I was next to Michels a few time at Marham, we did some 3rd gear pulls side by side as well. :D

I was running 1.2bar guess who had the edge ?

T51R Kai for me Jay if i had your setup

Ash's and Uk-rich's pick up so nicely and the way the power and torque is delivered helps with traction in the lower gears. Plus the noise of them is just pure bliss.

A dream of mine would be a 3.4 with a T51 Kai :)

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

T51R Kai for me Jay.

Ash's and Uk-rich's pick up so nicely and the way the power and torque is delivered helps with traction in the lower gears. Plus the noise of them is just pure bliss.

A dream of mine would be a 3.4 with a T51 Kai :)

Hope you get time to put the base map on mine tomorrow at Phoenix Ryan ?