The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Piano Gloss Black Dash?

FuR

The only thing I'd say against having a very high gloss finish is the reflections you can get in bright sunlight. It's one reason to use spray can paints as the finish is a little more matt/uneven so the light reflection is pretty minimal

That would make a horrible mess.

Not if done with good preparation (Thats the key and takes by far the most time!). It will not give a gloss finish, but if thats not intended the finish can still be perfect and hard wearing. The one on my old car is still unmarked after 4 years of daily use.

Not if done with good preparation (Thats the key and takes by far the most time!). It will not give a gloss finish, but if thats not intended the finish can still be perfect and hard wearing. The one on my old car is still unmarked after 4 years of daily use.

Oops. Nobody spotted the alternative meaning to the phrase "gloss black from halfords, and spray it on your self". :p

like people have said before, take the panels off and do it, its much easier and you will get much better results. make sure you dont rush the preparation! otherwise when you pain it will have marks and lines clearly visible. most important thing i can say is allow enough time for the coats of paint to properly dry, this will then show you which areas need attention. dont rush what ever you do. you will make a mess.

after looking at pics of gloss black im not sure its for me tbh :-) i think i would go for satin or matt maybe, but i def would get it done professionally only because im not great at this sort of thing

My dash is black. Looks great with some dash rings :)

I do have pics on here somewhere, i'll do a search.

Edit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=71311&d=1203627871

attachment.php?attachmentid=71330&d=1203686300

attachment.php?attachmentid=71331&d=1203686300

attachment.php?attachmentid=71387&d=1203781622

The above were taken when i just installed everything. Really needed a good polish, in fact it still does lol. Still working on the interior and install just now so waiting till its all finished for a full on clean.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

My dash is black. Looks great with some dash rings :)

I do have pics on here somewhere, i'll do a search.

Edit:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=71311&d=1203627871

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=71330&d=1203686300

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=71331&d=1203686300

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=71387&d=1203781622

The above were taken when i just installed everything. Really needed a good polish, in fact it still does lol. Still working on the interior and install just now so waiting till its all finished for a full on clean.

:yeahthat:

The rings make all the difference. Mine is sprayed Halfauds Matt Black by yours truly:

Guest poodle

i did mine BMW cosmos metallic black only a week or so ago just waiting a little longer before i give it a good polish, certainly looks better than the worn out rubbery standard