The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rollcage any1 with some pics of theirs??

dayosupra

The cages in the Whifbitz track cars looked superbly put together, but perhaps a little extreme for a daily driver (dash chop, weld in 6 point job with side bars). The prices that were mentioned were very good though.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence about how rollcages have protected people in accidents, perhaps even in supras too?

Have you never watched any racing or rallying on the box when a car has crashed and rolled??

It's plain to see how the cars stand up. Without a cage they'd be flat.

Have you never watched any racing or rallying on the box when a car has crashed and rolled??

It's plain to see how the cars stand up. Without a cage they'd be flat.

So for a supra that is only being used on the road only crashes are going to make it roll? Or can you make the supra roll without a crash. Also do roll cages protect much in frontal impacts?

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence about how rollcages have protected people in accidents, perhaps even in supras too?

Yes actually...Try missing a hairpin at highspeed on a track and rolling/flipping a car a few times without a cage and let me know how you do....:search:

Bluepeter time...

Get 2 empty toilet rolls, a straw and a pair of scissors

Take the first one and lay it on its side so that it would roll. Put your hand on top and gently add pressure until it collapses.

Take the 2nd one and cut the straw into pieces so that they fit inside the diameter of the toilet roll. Align the toilet roll so that the straw is pointing skywards and lay your hand on top of the toilet roll. Start adding pressure until the roll flattens.

Imagine you are inside that toilet roll and notice the difference in pressure it takes to collapse it and squash you with and without the straw in there.

Toilet roll = car

Straw = Rollcage

Guest CoolsBlue
i only really drive my car to work. A couple of miles. Or to tesco and back. If i get a roll cage it would be for the look of it. Love the idea of a roll caged car. So raw.

well for others i guess it a extra way of making sure they are safe in a 3ltr cruiser...never hurts to be safe, so why not? also they look cool:)

well for others i guess it a extra way of making sure they are safe in a 3ltr cruiser...never hurts to be safe, so why not? also they look cool:)

Yeah thats what i think. They look very cool. Whiffins ones look great dont they? Might have my groceries flying around a bit more though.

its normally a requirement

The guys gotta be insane;)

I have a cusco which is good if you dont want to start ripping up your interior as it has dog legs in the front so goes around the dash

The bad point for track enthusiasts is the good point for daily drivers, it has dog legs

imho the cages in the whifbitz cars are decent - but when you look at the likes of Andy Gallaghers Focus e.t.c you understand exactly how a cage should be done

http://www.b7srl.com/Andrew/FocusMkIIimages/images/inside_rollcage.jpg

His is a full frame mind but the mounts are awesome

I've strengthind my cusco in the middle as that seams to be a dodgy place to have any impact on the sup - it appears to cave in

My cage was wrapped in ribbon - A Ben Linney Trait - which adds a nice touch too

wonder how many people fit roll cages to the supe that dont do track days in them? Wonder too if you need to wear a helmet for track days?

I doubt many people go to the expense of a cage for a road car.

Helmets have been compulsory at the track days I've been to.

So for a supra that is only being used on the road only crashes are going to make it roll? Or can you make the supra roll without a crash. Also do roll cages protect much in frontal impacts?

I sincerely hope you don't drive fast enough to ever need a roll cage as judging by your posts on this thread I'm not 100% sure you'll even figure out how that round "steering wheel" thing works in time. ;)

When my R32 GTR went in for its rebuild I borrowed a fully stripped out and caged R32 GTR (about 6 weeks), the cage was combined with race seats and the bars came across the door into the dash area, a couple of things that drove me insane

The stripped out car was SO noisy

The cage made getting in and out a real nightmare, my GF hated it

The racing seat was fine, but I dont have a racing behind and it was SO uncomfortable

The cage did make the car feel very stiff and gave a great deal of confidence, however for a street car that sees no track, I dont really think it is worth the hassle