The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clear lenses thoughts

Scott

Just been reading a couple of threads on the clear lenses and it got me thinking.

Would it be possible to buff out the regular lenses to take away the beam pattern? Just thinking it might be an idea for people who can't get a hold of clear lenses or who don't fancy doing the DIY job.

Any thoughts?

Yea might work, what you dont realise with the clear lenses is that they dont finish right around the edges (hard to tell from the pics) ive been there with the abflugs, you see the silicon and it justs looks messy, if you sand down the ridges and then repolish it might be a better option.

Anyone thinking of getting abflugs dont waste your money.

The Beam pattern is on the inside so you will need to take apart the light unit anyway.

Yeah but in order to get clear lenses you don't just need to take them apart. You need to cut the rim off of the lense, glue and screw the clear lens on and then try to cover up all the cutting, screwing and filling.

I was just thinking that buffing out the stuff might be a little neater.

I'm sure i have a spare set of fooked headlights that i might give it a go on to see how it comes out. They are taken apart anyway. I'm backshift this week so that would give me the chance.

Cheers

Yea might work, what you dont realise with the clear lenses is that they dont finish right around the edges (hard to tell from the pics) ive been there with the abflugs, you see the silicon and it justs looks messy, if you sand down the ridges and then repolish it might be a better option.

Anyone thinking of getting abflugs dont waste your money.

Thats exactly what i was thinking.

I can't see any downfalls of doing it the way i am thinking, other than if it goes wrong, all i would lose is a headlight that is fooked anyway.

They look better than the yellowing headlights but as Jamie said the finish up close is sh*te to be honest but not many people are going to get that close to my car and it certainly wont ever be for concours so im happy....

The original lenses where injection moulded, so unless someone stumps up the cash for the tooling you'll never get them replicated exactly.

You could try flatting the inside of the lense but it would be a bugger of a job and will still go yellow over time.

Suprattgaz has provided an affordable alternative, though it does require some careful modification to the original lense, plus the issue Jamie mentioned (though you could use a black border around the edge of the lens to hide the silicon).

Im in the process of doing myself some custom headlights, which will include a one-piece clear lense (with returns) and modified CF inners, I'll let you know how they come out once done, I did start on them yonks ago but got sidelined with other work.