The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Handling (Wobbly Bum!)

meph137

Hey all, looking to buy a supe soon though, having been in one recently I noticed its back end was wobbling around quite a lot when going over even small 'road features' (bumps, manholes and the like), personally I have a celica atm and am not used to rear wheel drive cars, have driven a few on a track before but its no comparison to the road.

Is it usual for supes to wobble around at the back like this? It felt like it was slipping, like the back was on ice, or it was being dragged to one side, soon as u got over the thing it was having problems with, it was ok.

Just felt quite odd....apparently it had wider than standard tyres on, could that be the issue?

Did it have 19" alloys on. Do a search and you will find they are a no-no.

Hmm, not sure tbh - I didn'd ask, should have...they didn't look 19, but I'm a bad judge of sizes :p

i get that with mine when going over drain covers. ive got 265width tires on the back. not sure if its a problem or not though.......hope not. :)

Did you get that before you got the 265's? What he standard width anyhow?

Nothing to do with the size of the alloys mate, sounds like something is a little worn or the dampers are a little fooked.

Having large alloys will make a difference to the handling but only regarding grip on the limit, harsh ride and road noise.

Hey all, looking to buy a supe soon though, having been in one recently I noticed its back end was wobbling around quite a lot when going over even small 'road features' (bumps, manholes and the like), personally I have a celica atm and am not used to rear wheel drive cars, have driven a few on a track before but its no comparison to the road.

Is it usual for supes to wobble around at the back like this? It felt like it was slipping, like the back was on ice, or it was being dragged to one side, soon as u got over the thing it was having problems with, it was ok.

Just felt quite odd....apparently it had wider than standard tyres on, could that be the issue?

sounds like it could have a geo issue or worn bushes/loose subfrmae bolts etc.

could be one of a few things.

There should be no wobble and the car should handle well if all is well.

Bizarre, I definitely noticed it, and it seemed...not dangerous or anything, but uncomfortable - it seemed odd to me at the time, because I thought to myself, jeez, if this wobbles like that then the ride in some of the turbo Porsche carrera's must be horrible, cus they have massive wide tyres

Bizarre, I definitely noticed it, and it seemed...not dangerous or anything, but uncomfortable - it seemed odd to me at the time, because I thought to myself, jeez, if this wobbles like that then the ride in some of the turbo Porsche carrera's must be horrible, cus they have massive wide tyres

Definitely time for a go in a different one.

Well, it was happening while going totally straight, and without putting any power down at all (30 mph, going steady not accelerating) on a dry day going over manholes and such that were very flat to the road. It did seem like the rear was drifting, though quite heavily...certainly I wouldn't expect the conditions to cause what was happening, but I'm very naive in this respect - not driven many RWD cars at all, but put it this way, I'd be very very surprised if any FWD car I've driven did that, I drove my celica on the same roads no fuss whatsoever.

Welcome to the club:)

If it was you who was driving it may just be the feel of the car. i actually run on 19s with 265 wide tyres at the rear and the handling is usually fine. Though when I 1st put them on it did feel as if the rear was slipping but it was just my imagination.

It could also be cheap and poor tyres or it needs its geo/4 wheel alignment set up. That could reduce the harsh ride and prevent tramling which can make you feel that the arse is stepping.

Well, it was happening while going totally straight, and without putting any power down at all (30 mph, going steady not accelerating) on a dry day going over manholes and such that were very flat to the road. It did seem like the rear was drifting, though quite heavily...certainly I wouldn't expect the conditions to cause what was happening, but I'm very naive in this respect - not driven many RWD cars at all, but put it this way, I'd be very very surprised if any FWD car I've driven did that, I drove my celica on the same roads no fuss whatsoever.

No thats not normal whatsoever. Supra's hold straight and true. Im guessing maybe this Supra has been in some sort of accident and hasnt been repaired properly?? Suspension issue??

Either way meph137, walk away and keep looking...:)