The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Condensation in headlights

Blackie

I recently opened up my headlights to spray the inside black. All went okay (Nightmare of a job) now one of them has loads of condensation in it so i'n going to have to pop it apart again. My question: On my motorbike helmet i put a film of fairyliquid to stop it steaming up/ getting condensation, would this work on headlight?

Edited by Blackie (see edit history)

Yeah, before you crack them open again put a damp towel over the top of them and either sit them in the sun or whack them next to a radiator for a few hours. I don't know the physics behind it but the damp towel will help remove the condensation. Make sure all the bulbs are out so that it can breath.

If that doesn't work, pop them open again and re-seal them. Make sure they are totally dry before putting them together again.

I guess i got lucky with mine. I put them back together and on the car last week and we have had a few really rainy days. I guess the winter with freezing will be the real test though.

I took my headlights off and blew my missus hairdryer into them for about 20mins each until the light unit was really hot to touch and put them back in.Thats been 3 months now and they are clear.(used to steam up real bad);)

i did this and melted the rest of the seal, be carefull:d

You should keep in mind, that it's NORMAL for headlights to steam for a first few days after refurb, even brand new headlights are doing it. Check if high beam bulb is sealing properly, leave silicon bag for a few days. If after one week or so lamps will be still foggy, it will mean they are not sealed properly - try again and put as much sealant as you can :)

As advised already several times on the phone to you Mr Blackie :rolleyes:, refurbed lights can mist up for the first few days after a refurb, mine did. When condensation went they never steamed up again. Also with you Jet washing them less than 24 hours after you had done them wont help. So leave them a few days and wait and see.

Also with with regards to plugging the bulbs in, they are sometimes not snug so using a little Vaseline will create a seal around the plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gutted as I have the same issue with mine now. That said, they fogged up before, which was partly the reason for the refurb. They look great in the dry, and when I washed the car only 1 fogged up a bit but quickly cleared (suspect the highbeam bulb wasnt fully in which helped here) but in the heavy downpour we had on sunday they were VERY badly fogged.

This is the first time the headlights have been out in bad weather though (since refurb) so I'm hoping it may kinda sort itself out a bit. Mainbeam bulbs are now out while it's parked in the garage giving them time to dry.

Guest damelza

ohhhhh schizer I hope this doesn't happen to us..... we were wondering about this!

we sealed it with black silicon...errrrm look at Stav's thread about the angel eyes we fitted. (his member name is multics) He named all the products. so far so good after the rain as well....

x

ohhhhh schizer I hope this doesn't happen to us..... we were wondering about this!

we sealed it with black silicon...errrrm look at Stav's thread about the angel eyes we fitted. (his member name is multics) He named all the products. so far so good after the rain as well....

x

I used this stuff called Black tiger :blink: Someone on here recomended it to me

I'm assuming that we want the headlights completely sealed so that no air can get in at all - correct?

Is there any way in which you can test a headlight to try and find where it is leaking?

Mine were fine after adding alot of black tiger, JamesMarks says put vaseline round the bulb seals helps