The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decats and N/A's

Guest DrifterWanaB

Guest DrifterWanaB

Ok, used search for this but still not very clear for me

Got a couple of q's

I have a Standard exhaust, fitting a decat will it liven the noise up a little?

Does decatting the N.A give any more/lesspower

Also which is the one to do 1st or 2nd decat

Thanks people

It's been covered dozens of time, but to save you searching:

Decat on an NA means quite a bit more noise, it mostly depends on the cat back thats been fitted. I.e stock one will be marginly louder, a 3inch pipe with minimal silencing will be VERY loud.

The performance increase will be very small, from what most have said any increase will mostly be in your mind (sounds faster = must be faster) than in reality :D

I hollowed out my 1st cat, the sound increase was little to be honest. I didn't notice much power gains either. When flooring it though theres defiantly more of a grunt sound wise. Decatting the 1st cat is probably the best so the 2nd gets you through the MOT. You could double decat but you might need to pop one back in prior to the test date.

There is a definite difference in power when I put my 2nd cat back in for MOT, not mind blowing, but it is there.

Interestingly, with the 2nd cat in, I can feel a surge come on at 5000rpm, when the variable length plenum butterfly changes, but without the cats it pulls solidly all the way through.

Mine is hideously loud too, I have some 3" system on it with only one box and the first cat.

Tbh I hate it, sounds shit, too much buzz like a Honda and raspy as hell.

It doesn’t sound like a nice smooth straight size should IMO, I'm contemplating getting a HKS Silent for it in the hope its sounds nice.

a bit more rasp when you let off the throttle, ive heard a few pops as well but i think i need new 02 sensors :)

Ah see I hate rasp, I want to rid my car of any rasp what so ever.

Mine pops like a gooden on the overrun even after replacing the O2's but I have only replaced them with universal one's that don't seem to have fixed my 12 MPG problem anyway.

Genuine time me thinks.

I have a HKS Silent Hi Power on my n/a and have just had the second decat done (on Friday), still have my first cat in. IMO it sounds very very nice :D lol not at all raspy or tinny, am very pleased with it!

Would love to hear a vid of it mate. :)

I have a HKS Silent Hi Power on my n/a and have just had the second decat done (on Friday), still have my first cat in. IMO it sounds very very nice :D lol not at all raspy or tinny, am very pleased with it!

yes, I agree. HKS silent hi power does sound the bizness. Get tons of thumbs up from porsche owners and the like :D