The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brake upgrade

fruity_south

following the accident on the way to the southend supra cruise last night some of you guys suggested i upgrade my brakes from jap stock to something better. the only thing is i aint got a clue where to go, what im looking for and what i need.

fr those of you who dont know its for a N/A auto supra.

help would be welcomed greatfully

cheers. do you know if they come with pads, or do i use my old pads and also do i just use the standard discs or is it better to upgrade them aswell?

you would need pads, also bigger discs, but would be worth evry penny

Unless you are doing silly speeds, or are using it on the track the smaller jap brakes should be fine for day to day use. If they are not working for you you will likely have one or more components that are past their lifetime.

I replaced the pads with Chris Wilson fast road ones, flushed the fluid with 5.1, fitted braided lines and installed new stock discs and it completely transformed the braking performance. They will cope with one hard stop fom silly speeds but will quickly overheat on the track (3 laps of Bedford GT curcuit was the max). On the road, I never had any fade, even with > 540bhp on tap.

If you really need something more than the best setup for you money is the stock "uk" brake setup, it'll cost about £1k all in if you order from Nic. The advantage is they are perfectly balanced for the Supra, have the longevity you'd expect from an OEM manufacturer and are still one of the strongest setups available for a road-going car.

thanks, i know the pads were done just before i got the car, though they are a little squeaky. main reason i wont some though is after the shunt i had last night. this is going to take some thinking about one thinks. same question though still. if i do go for the ones listed earlyer on this thread what discs should i be going for?