The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkivsupra.net/car

gaz1

as a club of this size should we not have a club car, could we not between us build one:search: we have some very knowledgable members, and we must have loads of parts between us, i know this has been mentioned before, but rather than a road car maybe a track or drag car, no tax mot or anything, i am sure at the big meets we would have volunteers to trailor it to shows tracks etc, and am sure if we donated parts/time to this project then the traders would, i for one would love to see OUR car at events like suprapod/marham etc, i understand it would take organizing, someone to store it, somewhere to build it, but between us i am sure we could, i would be in a position to donate a shell, and some odds and sods, whats everyones thoughts, its our club:D

as a club of this size should we not have a club car, could we not between us build one:search: we have some very knowledgable members, and we must have loads of parts between us, i know this has been mentioned before, but rather than a road car maybe a track or drag car, no tax mot or anything, i am sure at the big meets we would have volunteers to trailor it to shows tracks etc, and am sure if we donated parts/time to this project then the traders would, i for one would love to see OUR car at events like suprapod/marham etc, i understand it would take organizing, someone to store it, somewhere to build it, but between us i am sure we could, i would be in a position to donate a shell, and some odds and sods, whats everyones thoughts, its our club:D

Good thinking Gaz, as you say would take a bit of organising but like Homer though, buying used parts, we could build a Supra so it is our own one...:D

Great idea i think we should do this...:thumbs:

Nice idea but as discussed before it would turn in to a disaster very quickly in my opinion.

i cannot see why col, it would be a club car, no money involved, donations and members time would do it, a designated mod could organize the building and usage of the car, anyone driving it at events would have to sign a disclaimer,

i cannot see why col, it would be a club car, no money involved, donations and members time would do it, a designated mod could organize the building and usage of the car, anyone driving it at events would have to sign a disclaimer,

What have you got in mind for the club Supra to look like Gaz??

Modified engine and body wise??

Or just standard??

All that hard work for somebody to stick it in the wall at the pod?

I dont think a disclaimer would work, it would need to have a fully comp insurance policy on it that cover track use imo, i would be happy to donate if i was happy with how it was to be organised:)

I understand gaz and would happily help in anway i could but the following questions arise and need to be addressed and i don't think could get everyone in agreement on:

Who gets to drive it,

Who stores it.

Who do we use to build it.

what turbo / suspension / bodywork do we fit to it.

What happens to the club if somebody dies or gets badly injured(worst case scenario)while behind the wheel

Insurance while stored who is responsible ?

Petrol / maintenance / etc

Thats just a few off the top of my head that would need to be addressed, getting everybody to agree on the above would be a bit hard.

Also how many people would be willing to chip in regulalrly for a piece of a car ? im not sure you could get a regular investment to keep it running on a regular basis unfortunately.

All that hard work for somebody to stick it in the wall at the pod?

I dont think a disclaimer would work, it would need to have a fully comp insurance policy on it that cover track use imo, i would be happy to donate if i was happy with how it was to be organised:)

i am sure if members donated and we actually built a show/track car we could get the club to do a deal with sky for the insurance

It would be a great idea in theory. but it all ends up steming down to who ends up storing it / driving it etc. it would get messy with so many fingers in such a small pie
only greedy people would cause problems

what if it got written off?

we repair it

What have you got in mind for the club Supra to look like Gaz??

Modified engine and body wise??

Or just standard??

a vote would sort that

We cant make up our minds what colour looks best so we dont stand a chance on engine spec, great box, turbo size etc etc.

Good idea.

Can I have weekends :)

Well i think i can see where this is going...

People will be argueing either the colour Black or White...

As these two colours imo are the best...:)

It's a nice idea in pricipal, but when you dig a little deeper it's a potential nightmare for the club and members.

The mods have discussed this several times now. We had a lenghly discussion about it at the last mods meeting but there are some critical problems. Colsoop has already hit on quite a few of them.

The biggest issue we found was over logistics. We have enough trouble getting club banners to events throught the year, so an entire car would be problematic to say the least. Lets say we did get a car, and for arguments sake it's stored somewhere like the midlands. Someone from Yorkshire requests the car for an event, how do we get it there? How do we ensure it gets delievred to the next meet, say bournmouth? Who makes the decision over where the club car should actually attend?

It's also not possible to get road insurance cover without the ownership of the car belonging to someone. Insurance would then need to be arranged in that persons name as would MOT and Tax. There is also the issue of who to trust to drive it (especially if it were to be used on the track)...

The list of issues is endless, for the logistical problems alone it's enough to not make this worthwhile use of the limited club funds.

It's a nice idea in pricipal, but when you dig a little deeper it's a potential nightmare for the club and members.

The mods have discussed this several times now. We had a lenghly discussion about it at the last mods meeting but there are some critical problems. Colsoop has already hit on quite a few of them.

The biggest issue we found was over logistics. We have enough trouble getting club banners to events throught the year, so an entire car would be problematic to say the least. Lets say we did get a car, and for arguments sake it's stored somewhere like the midlands. Someone from Yorkshire requests the car for an event, how do we get it there? How do we ensure it gets delievred to the next meet, say bournmouth? Who makes the decision over where the club car should actually attend?

It's also not possible to get road insurance cover without the ownership of the car belonging to someone. Insurance would then need to be arranged in that persons name as would MOT and Tax. There is also the issue of who to trust to drive it (especially if it were to be used on the track)...

The list of issues is endless, for the logistical problems alone it's enough to not make this worthwhile use of the limited club funds.

but if it was not the club funds;) it would be show/track only, we have a voting system in place for who would be driving it at events, we also have members from all over the country, i am sure getting it to big events could be arranged between us, and to help with any extra,s maybe a volantry £5 a year on top of membership for the running of said car