The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Overheating Question

Jamesy W

Right people I'm looking for a spot of advice. Fingers crossed im not looking at a new rad.

My car was overheating a few months back, turned out to be a small leak form the upper pipe, where I had a water temp sensor adapter fitted the jubilee clip had cut into the pipe. I solved that buy cutting and fitting a silicone connector, all went well up until a few weeks ago.

I finally got round to buying a rad cap yesterday, but I was too busy running around trying to find a sat-nav to fit it. Was out at the car just now - naturally the cap doesn't fit, it's too bulky and wide (if you know what I mean).The coolant is a slight orange colour, but it is booked in for during the week to be flushed and refilled.

Can anyone tell me what else it could be other than a fecked radiator? I know headgaskets are as rare as rocking horse poo, but my knowledge is limited at best.

The car only overheats sometimes when I am accelerating, when I take my foot off the pedal the needle falls back down to normal. When on motorway runs the water temp gauge doesn't fall as low as it used to but on normal roads the gauge can go up to around and over 200o/f.

After driving and giving it a bit I can hear a gurgling noise, the expansion bottle is empty. The heater still blows out hot air too.

A bit long winded I know but can anyone help? I'm looking at this just now just incase http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246707135&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

Right people I'm looking for a spot of advice. Fingers crossed im not looking at a new rad.

My car was overheating a few months back, turned out to be a small leak form the upper pipe, where I had a water temp sensor adapter fitted the jubilee clip had cut into the pipe. I solved that buy cutting and fitting a silicone connector, all went well up until a few weeks ago.

I finally got round to buying a rad cap yesterday, but I was too busy running around trying to find a sat-nav to fit it. Was out at the car just now - naturally the cap doesn't fit, it's too bulky and wide (if you know what I mean).The coolant is a slight orange colour, but it is booked in for during the week to be flushed and refilled.

Can anyone tell me what else it could be other than a fecked radiator? I know headgaskets are as rare as rocking horse poo, but my knowledge is limited at best.

The car only overheats sometimes when I am accelerating, when I take my foot off the pedal the needle falls back down to normal. When on motorway runs the water temp gauge doesn't fall as low as it used to but on normal roads the gauge can go up to around and over 200o/f.

After driving and giving it a bit I can hear a gurgling noise, the expansion bottle is empty. The heater still blows out hot air too.

A bit long winded I know but can anyone help? I'm looking at this just now just incase http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246707135&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

The expansion bottle should not be empty!

Mike

The expansion bottle has a min and a max mark on the side of it, to accomodate coolant expansion etc. it's a feed to keep the system topped up. If the bottle is empty there's a strong possibility that you will have an airlock in the system which could result in overheating. Top up the bottle and run the car whilst parked on a slope engine uphill. may help :shrug:

Mike

Thanks a bunch Mike. I thought it was gonna be new rad time. The expansion bottle is definitely empty. Popped out just no to check. I was planning on having a garage flush out the system and refill it whilst it's in having work done nut now I'm thinking fof giving it a go myself.

Would it just be a case of popping off the bottom hose then running water through till it runs clear? Saves paying £40 an hour ?

just on an off chance.... is your rad secured at both ends? I still haven't cured mine as its intermittent and today I realised the clamp nearest the rad cap is missing. I suspect under load or on a corner the rad is moving causing the cap to hit the bonnet and break the pressure seal.

worth checking for nowt!

You can pick up new rads, on eBay for about £120 so it's not the end of the world if it turns out to be a blocked / shoddy rad.

It's just the hastle to be honest, it's taken me 6 months to get the motivation to get a set of indicators fitted.

If it did turn out to be the rad I would prob just bite the bullit and go for the Koyo one, ideally having a fmic done at the same time.

Lazy git :p

Can't be more than a half hour job lol.

What the rad or the indicators? lol.

Would this be ok to fill it up with? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Longlife-Red-Concentrated-Antifreeze-5-Ltr_W0QQitemZ190176145210QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Mixed with water and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Line-Water-Wetter-cheapest-on-eBay-super-coolant_W0QQitemZ120266136188QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never attempted anything under the hood before so everyday is a school day :)

I can't positively answer that question myself, as I've not looked into antifreeze on mine yet.

Some cars are a bit finicky about what antifreeze you use, as the wrong type can eat your heater matrix, and as I've read the dreaded heater matrix problem on the Supra forums a couple of times now since I’ve joined I really would try to avoid breaking one.

Also never heard of red water, looks a tad gimmicky to me, maybe someone else could shed some more light in this field.

I know what you mean regarding the matrix, read up on that too. The water wetter thing was recommended by Tricky Ricky in a thread I just read. That and another product called Radiator Relief both got the thumbs up.

Just trying to prolong the life of my current rad as I don't think it's been changed sine new so only a matter of time really.

Nah you can do that in your driveway. :)

Good stuff, I have a jack lying about that just squeezes under the car. Where is the plug you are talking about? I fitted an outside tap a few weeks ago but the pressure isn't the best. Should that matter?

The drain plug will be along the bottom of the rad somewhere, again no idea where tbh but it should be there.

Nah the pressure won’t matter too much, it will just give you an idea of if the rad is blocked or semi blocked at all. If you find it is, then just leave it flowing through it for a while until all the sediment has passed out the bottom.