The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electrical box under drivers seat ?

JNk10

Could someone just tell me what the black box is under my driver seat. It is in a metal clip and has a strap holding it in place. Has alot of electrical wires runing to it - its like a very small ecu.

Its a J spec NA Auto btw :)

Found one under mine too. Had some kind of aerial plugged in so i presumed it was part of a factory fitted alarm system or remote doors or something. Ripped it out and all still worked so not really sure...

• 1 year later...

Been wondering about this box for a while, thought I'd open mine up and see what's inside. It looks a little bit different to Wez's, but with the same (or similar) blue connector:

Here's a shot of the inside:

The large IC on the bottom right has the part number 75004CU 421 which seems to be a 4-bit micro. The ceramic oscillator next to it (identifier CL) is 4.19 MHz, searching for this frequency reveals it's used in some TV sets.

The SIL device at the bottom in the middle has a part number TA8000S, which comes up as a 5V regulator with watchdog.

The shielded enclosure at the top only has 6 connections to the rest of the circuitry, the antenna socket to its left is one of those connections. The 2 outer connections of the six are grounds. One of the pins (the rightmost one) goes to the inverting input of the LM2903 comparator IC4 It's also fed via and RC filter to the non-inverting input of the same comparator. I just haven't got the willpower to trace out the other 2 connections - too many passives in the way! :D

I'm not really sure what this is. I would have said some kind of TV tuner, but I don't think there's enough in this box to get to baseband video and audio.

Any thoughts?

Edit: All the date codes on the ICs are around March 93, which ties in with the manufacture date of my car. This leads me to believe the box has been there since the beginning.

Edited by Andy Blyth (see edit history)