The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just had a problem, is it safe though?

hoff

Ive just been to get some petrol. When I tried to remove the cap it was locked tight. I had to get some pliers to twist it. It seems it may have been air locked as when I finally removed it, the amount of gases that were excaping was unbelievable. It sounded like a bottle of pop which had been shaken like hell and opened. That doesn't seem right to me:rolleyes: Though it is very hot and I had a short but spirited drive. But is it all ok?

Ive just been to get some petrol. When I tried to remove the cap it was locked tight. I had to get some pliers to twist it. It seems it may have been air locked as when I finally removed it, the amount of gases that were excaping was unbelievable. It sounded like a bottle of pop which had been shaken like hell and opened. That doesn't seem right to me:rolleyes: Though it is very hot and I had a short but spirited drive. But is it all ok?

i have had this, but always managed to open it with my hands (perhaps your a wimp:p)

i have had this, but always managed to open it with my hands (perhaps your a wimp:p)

Thats what I thought mate, though Ive polished and waxed her today. My arm must be tired:D

I get this sometimes, pressure almost wants to blow the cap off, should be fine.

Thats good. I dont want to blow up holywood style. That would really tic me off:D

Guest Angry Koala

Even with the weather and the short spirited drive I wouldn't expect that much pressure (that you'd have to open the cap with pliers) to build up unless the breather pipe from the tank was blocked. I'd get it looked at if it were me as a vacuum building up inside the tank like that could possibly lead to it collapsing inwards (unlikely but possible - after all the breather pipe is there for a reason!) :)

It's nothing to worry about Adam. The vacuum must be stronger when the ambient air gets warmer.

Next time it happens give me a shout and I'll come down and open it for you.........I do the same with jars and bottles for the missus....:D

H.

It's nothing to worry about Adam. The vacuum must be stronger when the ambient air gets warmer.

Next time it happens give me a shout and I'll come down and open it for you.........I do the same with jars and bottles for the missus....:D

H.

Surely if it gets warmer the vacume would reduce as the little air that is in there would expand?

If its air going in then you may have problems, if its air sucking in then thats normal.

:blink:

Think i know what you mean though. If its blowing out of the cap then its positive pressure which is bad. If its a vacume and its sucking in then its normal as using fuel will lessen the volume of the tank creating a vacume.

Basically i wouldn't worry about it. If you had a full tank at one point and you have used most of it before filling up again you will have created a fair amount of -iv pressure. I would get the breather checked though as it sounds as if your tank isn't reducing the pressure via the breather. There should be a bit of -ive pressure but not enough to lock the cap on.

unless, as everyone suggests, you need to start visiting the gym ;)