The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Air Con

jevansio

Test  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Test

• A
    • B

I decided to remove my aircon to shed some more weight, I wanted to do a full job (removing the pump) so needed a new belt. Many thanks to Charlie (b'have) for the dimensions of the new belt PK1865.

So I picked it up from Motoscope this morning and set about removing everything.

I obviously needed to make a bracket to support the PS pump, but I noticed there was a chance I could take the AC pump apart & use it's front cover to support the PS pump in standard fashion. It means the brakcet is located in 3 positions so should hold the PS pump exactly as stock.

Attached are pics of the bracket & the belt fitted.

I now need to remove the ac radiator & condensor. I figure I need to drop the FMIC out the way, but would appreciate any tips on removing the ac radiator.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

good effort mate, sorry i cant help, i have ditched virtually everything else but have allways thought the day the air con doesn't work is the day it comes off, but it keeps soldiering on and today sat in traffic i'm kind of glad it does still work, good luck and get the car weighed when your finished

i did kind of chuckle to myself today as it was ferkin warm, rolled up to the traffic lights on our local dualy with the windows up and the air con on keeping me nice and cool and a guy pulls up alongside on a Kawasaki 900 Ninja, looked over and gave me "the look" so when the lights changed in my air conned world i ripped him up for a**e paper, i know its an old bike but i couldn't help think how good these cars are :D

good effort mate, sorry i cant help, i have ditched virtually everything else but have allways thought the day the air con doesn't work is the day it comes off, but it keeps soldiering on and today sat in traffic i'm kind of glad it does still work, good luck and get the car weighed when your finished

Cheers Paul, it's a daily drive at the mo (typical the summer is here & I remove the aircon :D), but as soon as I buy my lass another car I'll get my Jag back so the Supe will become a weekend car again. TBH everyone of my cars has aircon but I much prefer the window down approach, I know sat in a traffic jam wouldn't help there :D but with a bit of luck I won't see many.

I regretted removing mine if im honest with you, keep the parts incase you change your mind;)

Too late Jamie :D, I've butchered my pump removing the front cover from it. This is a one way street for the Supra, I've decided it's going to be a hardcore car. I'll be passing all the bit's onto someone who can make good use of them :)

Cheers Paul, it's a daily drive at the mo (typical the summer is here & I remove the aircon :D), but as soon as I buy my lass another car I'll get my Jag back so the Supe will become a weekend car again. TBH everyone of my cars has aircon but I much prefer the window down approach, I know sat in a traffic jam wouldn't help there :D but with a bit of luck I won't see many.

if i had a "fleet" of cars mate i would deffo do the same :D

if i had a "fleet" of cars mate i would deffo do the same :D

Lol, it was when I realised my other cars do an amazing job of being "refined" and "comfortable" that I decided the Supra had to be none of those things

PS anyone with any tips on how to remove the rad would be appreciated, I'll take some photo's tomorrow of the spots that are troubling me

My aircon is knackered, but I can't afford to fix it at the moment. I was going to remove it too, but many people advised me against it.

Therefore, when I can afford it, I'm going to get the bits I need (condensor, hoses etc) and get someone to fit it all and then get it tested and regassed.

Trouble is, with an aerotop I doubt I'll ever use it.... or at least for the cost it won't be worth it. I dunno.. lol

Pabs you're quite welcome to my AC system. The entire system was fully working, I've removed the pully from teh front of the pump but you should be able to replace it with yours (along with your bracket) and create a fully working pump. I'll let you know when it's all removed :)

• 1 month later...

I finally got round to removing the front condersor & gubbins today, I have to say though the total weight of stuff removed is no where near numbers I had read in other posts.

So far it's 12kg (that's with pump, condensor etc), I've still got to remove a couple of bits of pipe, and I believe there's something behind the dash that can come out but I somehow don't think that will total another 12-13kgs.

At least removing the condensor should make my radiator operate more efficiently :)

• 3 weeks later...
I decided to remove my aircon to shed some more weight, I wanted to do a full job (removing the pump) so needed a new belt. Many thanks to Charlie (b'have) for the dimensions of the new belt PK1865.

My aircon pump has just seized up so I need a belt to put in that effectively by-passes the aircon pulley. That PK1865 is that some sort of part number and where did you get it from?

My aircon pump has just seized up so I need a belt to put in that effectively by-passes the aircon pulley. That PK1865 is that some sort of part number and where did you get it from?

Yeah it's a Gates belt, the 1865 denotes that it's 1865mm long, it has 6 grooves, so any manufacturer that does a 6 groove belt 1865mm long should fit though. PS I got the length from Charlie (b'have)

Didnt you melt on the way home from TOTB?

To be fair the aircon in my MR2 doesn't work, and i just put windows down. but im not taking the aircon off the Supra!

I sure did Rob,

TBH even if I did have AC I wouldn't have used it :). I valued my engine over my comfort & I'd rather i sweated like a pig & had non-critical water temps than be icy cool myself while my water go over 100deg :D

How come you were seeing such high coolant temps?

It was mostly when I was sat in the queue for 20 mins on the way out, with the searing heat it meant that my water temps were rising dangerously, with the heating on they never went over 90deg, with the heating off they were starting to creep upto 95deg.

Once I was moving over 10mph I was fine.

I think my new 5" thick FMIC may have also hampered flow to the rad too.

This was one of the main reasons I went the electric water pump route, only time will tell if it holds up

Just to speculate though, your FMIC is not going to prevent air cooling the rad at idle, that should be your fans job, do you have the aap motorsport fans jav?

I just found out last night the stock fan and shroud comes to around 600inc vat hahaha!!WTF? I'll be keeping mine as a spare if these Circa fans dont do the job!

This was one of the main reasons I went the electric water pump route, only time will tell if it holds up

Just to speculate though, your FMIC is not going to prevent air cooling the rad at idle, that should be your fans job, do you have the aap motorsport fans jav?

I just found out last night the stock fan and shroud comes to around 600inc vat hahaha!!WTF? I'll be keeping mine as a spare if these Circa fans dont do the job!

Ahh I see cheers bb, yeah I've got the AAP fans (I think Zirlog / Zircon make them, apparently they don't flow as much as the Spal ones though), I might change them for equivalent sized Spals when they fail.