The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BHP on all cars are less than it says on paper??

toyotasupra1980

Hiya all just want to understand some stuff here, why is it that when i see specs for TT Supra producing 320bhp standard and the N/A Supra producing 225bhp standard, people are saying that the cars are not producing that bhp:search: and they are actually producing 40bhp less than it shows, does that mean that all cars are producing 40bhp less than it says on paper???? :search:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"who" are these people and "what" are the facts

sounds like sour grapes did you win a race vs a new car ??

I got a modded 1993 N/A Supra mk4, now technically i stick an unrestricted exhaust, completelly de-catted, with downpipe and a set of front pipes, AFC Neo and an apexi power airfilter, plus a super chip that has been modified, technically from a 225bhp standard engine i should be producing around maybe 30bhp extra, so on paper i should be producing 255bhp, but there are people who say that i am only producing 220 to 230bhp???

Maybe he means the 280 bhp figures often quoted for the J spec TT, that pans out as its spookily 40 bhp less than 320 bhp. No idea where the N/A has ever been quoted at 185 bhp though...thats more like Mk III figures.

"who" are these people and "what" are the facts

sounds like sour grapes did you win a race vs a new car ??

NA he means the below

Maybe he means the 280 bhp figures often quoted for the J spec TT, that pans out as its spookily 40 bhp less than 320 bhp. No idea where the N/A has ever been quoted at 185 bhp though...thats more like Mk III figures.

I think youve hit the mark mate, as everyone says the 280BHP for the Jspec is incorrect and its nearer to the 320 mark.

It basically all boils down to a gentlemens agreement in Japan which said we wont produce cars with more then 280BHP, but when dyno'd they are often found to have more.

I got a modded 1993 N/A Supra mk4, now technically i stick an unrestricted exhaust, completelly de-catted, with downpipe and a set of front pipes, AFC Neo and an apexi power airfilter, plus a super chip that has been modified, technically from a 225bhp standard engine i should be producing around maybe 30bhp extra, so on paper i should be producing 255bhp, but there are people who say that i am only producing 220 to 230bhp???

Do a search on N/A modifying. It is very difficult to get power out of it. To get near 250bhp you will probably need uprated cams

Exhaust and decat, ok maybe a few BHP.

Downpipe and front pipes, what do you mean by this, one of the exhaust manifolds that Nic does? A few more BHP.

AFC Neo, why?

airfilter, no bhp increase, maybe loss on a hot day.

Superchip, O RLY? There is no superchip for the Supra, NA or TT.

I'd say you'd gain about 10-20BHP from that lot, but considering the age of the car yes I'd say 220-230BHP sounds right to me.

Edited by Thorin (see edit history)

i have heard about the cams, was going get the jun-cams, but decided to save for the whifbitz turbo kit for the n/a supra which will give approx 380bhp.

drop a TT engine in it for around 2k and then BPU it and it will give you around 380bhp. will work out cheaper and easier than turbo charging the N/A engine

Exhaust and decat, ok maybe a few BHP.

Downpipe and front pipes, what do you mean by this, one of the exhaust manifolds that Nic does? A few more BHP.

AFC Neo, why?

airfilter, no bhp increase, maybe loss on a hot day.

Superchip, O RLY? There is no superchip for the Supra, NA or TT.

I'd say you'd gain about 10BHP from that lot, but considering the age of the car yes I'd say 220-230BHP sounds right to me.

the superchip was for a toyota celica gt4, but it was moddified and installed into my supra, dont know how, but hyeline performance managed to do it, and the afc neo does help, well it does for me.

i have heard about the cams, was going get the jun-cams, but decided to save for the whifbitz turbo kit for the n/a supra which will give approx 380bhp.

Only the intake cam will fit, the exhaust cam won't.

A far cheaper and more reliable option would be to sell your NA and buy a TT.

the superchip was for a toyota celica gt4, but it was moddified and installed into my supra, dont know how, but hyeline performance managed to do it, and the afc neo does help, well it does for me.

Are you sure it is not just a speed delimiter.

Are you sure it is not just a speed delimiter.

was delimeted when i got it and drove it cardiff from swansea, supposed to top out at 110-115mph, kept going to 140mph.:p

i rather get the turbo kit, really like my car and have done quite abit to it, she was my road to recovery so to speak, taking an engine out cost more than installing the turbo kit itself

Edited by toyotasupra1980 (see edit history)

I'll say it again, there is no superchip for the Supra. As Nic say's I expect it's a delimiter or speedo converter.

Selling and buying a TT is the best bet, with fitting a TT engine into your NA second.

I'll say it again, there is no superchip for the Supra. As Nic say's I expect it's a delimiter or speedo converter.

Selling and buying a TT is the best bet, with fitting a TT engine into your NA second.

ah dude i am not going to argue with you[GRIN][/GRIN], both got different oppinions, you trust this guy nic, i trust my mates at hyeline, not going to sell my car just to get a TT supra then go through all the stuff in getting the exhaust, air filter and wheels again, cost even more money, would rather get the turbo kit get 380 or 400bhp and i will be happy with that, i dont want to have a 1000bhp supra, as cool as that sounds but totally un-practical for me, plus i will live longer;).

ah dude i am not going to argue with you[GRIN][/GRIN], both got different oppinions, you trust this guy nic, i trust my mates at hyeline, not going to sell my car just to get a TT supra then go through all the stuff in getting the exhaust, air filter and wheels again, cost even more money, would rather get the turbo kit get 380 or 400bhp and i will be happy with that, i dont want to have a 1000bhp supra, as cool as that sounds but totally un-practical for me, plus i will live longer;).

your car. just be careful of your transmission if your go down the turbo route. Are you auto or manual?