The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black TRD Bilstein Shocks?

Scott

Just been swopping out my shocks with my new coilovers. I wasn't sure what type of shocks i had but upon inspection i noticed they have a TRD badge and Bilstein logo's.

Any idea if they are stock etc? I wasn't sure if the stock ones were meant to be yellow. They are black if that helps.

Id leave them on, Coilovers are horrid for UK roads unless you get the right spring rate.

I much prefer uprated shocks and springs, makes fast driving on bumpy surfaces much easier and you get more grip.

I've only been round the block in them but they seem softer than the setup i had before. I had the rebound on soft though, i've turned it back a few clicks but they seem spot on. Better than i had anyway ;)

No i replaced them with, erm, elisomething ones lol.

They were black though, Danny has them now :)

Edit: Espiler springs :)

Just mine had TRD stamped shocks & the springs were stamped HKS, the car was stock when I got it & had read somewhere about the TRD factory option suspension & wondered if it included HKS springs

Just mine had TRD stamped shocks & the springs were stamped HKS, the car was stock when I got it & had read somewhere about the TRD factory option suspension & wondered if it included HKS springs

Nah there after market mate, HKS had nothing to do with Toyota back in those days other than making after market parts like today.

My TRD dampers are grey with Bilstein on them and the springs are black with TRD on them. The damper shaft thread is also thicker than stock so the top mounts are different to accommodate them.

They are also adjustable to three different levels using a clip on the bottom spring seat. 15, 25 & 35mm.

Interested in any info you have on this suspension setup - ride height drop, adjustability.... any good? Price if still available?

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian

They have 3-stage adjustable ride height: Approx. -15mm/ -25mm/ -35mm.

Never personally used, so can't really comment on what they are like.

They have been discontinued already.

cheers

Just checked and they are grey. They were very very dirty so i rubbed some of the dust off and they are a dark grey. Oh well, that answers my question :)

How do you adjust the height though? Can't really see anything that would let me do that.

Are they worth anything 2nd hand?

How do you adjust the height though? Can't really see anything that would let me do that.

There are 3 grooves around each damper, the lower spring seat sits in one of these 3 grooves held in place with a circlip. The height is adjusted by moving the spring seat to a different groove.

Are they worth anything 2nd hand?

They were expensive new (circa £1000 a set from memory), so if in good working condition they should be.