The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well wasnt last night fun!!!!

KimberleyAnn

What a night! I went to my Supra after finishing work, and noticed petrol on the floor around it. I thought hmmm thats abit weird, and looked underneath and nothing seemed to be leaking. So i presumed something had happened by the car through the course of the day. I was very low on petrol anyway.

Anyway, i drove about 10 miles and went to a BP petrol station. I only put £10 in to see what was going on. Drove forwards after putting the petrol in, to find it literally streaming out, everywhere. (Very big leak!!!!)

So i phone my insurance company (who my breakdown is with) and explained that i HADNT broken down as such, but my car is leaking massive amounts of petrol and i cant drive it, i just need to take it to a garage in Horsham ( about 20 miles from where i was) and leave it there overnight, ready to be looked at in the morning.

I also explained how low the Supra was, and needed a low loader.

I waited awhile and the Recovery man came, he was really annoyed that he had to attempt to get the Supra on a lowloader and was really rude! He said, can we start it and drive it up to the lowloader. I said No......Obviously.

Eventually we got it lined up with the lowloader, and it was very tight to scraping the front, sideskirts and exhaust. Eventually got it on, and the recovery man was in a foul mood. (I pay 2k for my insurance, and this is my first call out)

Anyway, to cut it short, why would it suddenly start leaking petrol like this? Worried me abit!! If i hadnt of noticed then dunno what could of happened!

Its in the garage as we speak, so hopefully all will be ok!

NIGHTMARE!!!

My reverse fuel line leaked too.... i dont know if its a common fault...

i was with green flag, the guy just laughed at me... said he couldnt fix it, he couldnt get it on his truck and pretty much left me in the sh1t... luckily a friend had a low loader and helped me out

oh well hope you get it sorted...

Well i would of screamed at the guy if he didnt attempt to help me! lol!

It was a struggle to get it on, but he had to get wood and allsorts! then the strap he used got stuck around the underneath of the car when he unloaded the supra! Its still there, garage are gonna take it off when they do the work!

Just found a few answers http://www.mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=21195&highlight=fuel+leak

Silly Supra! Not on my good books at the mo!

Edited by KimberleyAnn (see edit history)

at least they listend to you about the low loader. when i broke down and told them the same (this is with the RAC) they said "we'll decide if you need a low loader or not". then sent a recovery truck, the guy took 1 look and said "hmmmm you need a low loader" d'oh!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 hours later i was rescued!

Guest Garfy

have you found where its leaking from yet? is it possible someone has punched a hole in the fuel tank to steal the fuel?

Just spoke to garage, they havent found out yet. They have fixed the exhaust though which apprantly was cracked/broke or something (due to speed bumps!!grrr) put a new hks air filter on which i asked for. And a few other bits and bobs, there just gonna put some petrol in now, and check again for leak

Guest Garfy
Fuel theft...hmm - I expect that'll be on the rise.

Yep, already is, aparantly they have started using a screwdriver to punch a hole in the tank, nice!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to them.

They said they dont think its a petrol leak, but its come from the exhaust, which they have fixed.

I am abit unsure about this, because it was really noticable yesterday.

However there gonna keep it over night, and move in the morning and see if its leaking.

:(

Just spoke to them.

They said they dont think its a petrol leak, but its come from the exhaust, which they have fixed.

I am abit unsure about this, because it was really noticable yesterday.

However there gonna keep it over night, and move in the morning and see if its leaking.

:(

Sorry to hear of your problem, but directing the problem to your exhaust? :blink:

Hi Kim

Bad news :( Fell for ya. If you had hit a sharp object that bounced (as it is quite low) or a sharp stone hit the tank it could have caused a split. However, if it absolutley poured out it sounds more like the neck of the tank could be holed/rusted? Just a thought.

As for stroppy pick up lorries they're idle blighters and are subcontracted out by the insurers. They don't have to deal with low sports cars very often and are pretty clueless. but winching it in would have had to be done backwards, being RWD which would have ripped off your bumper. Not good to boot it into life with a leaky tank! The pulley was on its way out when I had to be low loaded onto one of those things. The numpty reversed it up and even when I yellled at him to stop - due to screaching sounds coming from the front spoiler :blink: - he said 'don't worry, its ok' and carried on with some grotty bits of 4x4 under the wheels. Of course it slid off and caused more damage :rolleyes:

Hopefully the garage know their stuff and you'll get it sorted without too much heartache and expense :hug:

Linda

x