The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone in London to help this weekend?

pedrostar

Hey guys, am in need of a lil help this weekend with my Fuel Gauge.

Have read through quite a few threads on here and worked out it might be the Fuel Sender Unit in the tank thats having problems but too scared to touch it on my own. Dial seems to be working, as every now and then the reading is fine but its usually short-lived and drops a coupla secs later back to zero :(

Am based near Hammersmith in South West London. Don't suppose anyone would be around this sunday to help me take a look?

muchos thankos

I'd love to help as I'm only down the road, but I've only navigated the fuel pump procedure once and can't be of much assistance. There's a knowledgeable member in the area, namely Robert (who moved on to an Aristo), or ex-owner TRD3000GT who lives in Hammersmith. He's no longer active on here though, so to call him an expert may now be a misnomer.

I think Kosmic may still be in the area too.

Certainly is a mystery, Steve (Kranz) on here spent a couple hours looking and I had an auto electrician trying for a hour or 3, as I said before it is a wiring problem somewhere, not the fuel pump so don't let anyone have that out for the 10th time lol, also not the fuel pump ECU as I changed that too, the fuel pump is just recieving no voltage and only runs when the jumper wire was fitted in the diagnostic port by Steve. Very strange, it just randomly didn't start after fitting some speakers, have you searched my threads for more info on when it initially happened?

hey nell. yep checked through your old posts and think the gauge may just be affected by the fuel sender unit in the tank, may be that the floating arm has got stuck in the empty postition. I think its something unrelated to the fuel pump prob

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few possibilities..

1. loose connection on the electrics from the fuel sender.

2. Sticky or buggered float.

3. just need a new fuel sender.

Takes me about 10 minutes to get all the fuel stuff out but Id suggest you get a new fuel sender unit before the job is started its £20 ish I beleive and will rule out that problem if replaced.

I REALLY DOUBT ITS THE SORT OF PROBLEM THAT WE WILL OPEN THE TOP OF THE TANK AND GO.. OHH THERE IS THE ISSUE.

There are a few possibilities..

1. loose connection on the electrics from the fuel sender.

2. Sticky or buggered float.

3. just need a new fuel sender.

Takes me about 10 minutes to get all the fuel stuff out but Id suggest you get a new fuel sender unit before the job is started its £20 ish I beleive and will rule out that problem if replaced.

I REALLY DOUBT ITS THE SORT OF PROBLEM THAT WE WILL OPEN THE TOP OF THE TANK AND GO.. OHH THERE IS THE ISSUE.

yeah sounds spot. :)

Do you think its unlikely to be the dial? Occasionally the needle works, showing close to how much I have in the tank but its short-lived and always drops back to empty. No probs with the empty light (but I know that works on a seperate circuit). So on that basis was thinking could be something dodgy with the sender float. Do you reckon its definitely worth purchasing the new sender unit even before diagnosing?

can you not earth the wire from the sender this should make the guage go to full if its working, well it does on other cars, don't quote me on the supra

no harm in trying! :D

• 4 weeks later...