The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How often do you need Oil?

keancy

Just wondered how often do you guys have to top up Oil in your Supra??

We had ours since November last year and check the Oil weekly or fortnightly max and we haven't had to put in any what's or ever yet. When we had the car it had just had a full service so Oil and Oil Filter ect were brand new.

So, is it a good thing we haven't needed any top ups or something to worry about??

Only a bit concerned I guess because with our Fiat we had to top up about once a month or so. :(

So, is it a good thing we haven't needed any top ups or something to worry about??

It's a very good thing.

I have to top up my 93 RZ two or three times between oil changes (5k mile oil changes for me) because it burns a bit of oil due to the worn valve stem seals. Not that I'm worried about it but a Supra that loses no oil at all is definitely better.

ETA...

Come to think of it, all three Supras I've owned have required oil top ups between changes, so it's not unusual.

Edited by Jake (see edit history)

That reminds me, ive got to check my oil level! :rolleyes:
Just don't be one of those tits that waits until the Low Oil Level warning light comes on before they check it.

We had one guy who checked his oil after having the car for a few months then and found there was none on the dipstick - and was trying to blame the previous owner!!!

Just don't be one of those tits that waits until the Low Oil Level warning light comes on before they check it.

We had one guy who checked his oil after having the car for a few months then and found there was none on the dipstick - and was trying to blame the previous owner!!!

Tut...tut...:rolleyes:

No i checked mine about three weeks ago and i think its time to check on the oil and the coolant level too again while im at it...:)

My coolant bottle is a PITA though as the FMIC has caused the coolant bottle to have been re-located to behind the driver side headlight! :rolleyes:

You should really, just incase...As the saying goes, "its better to be safe than sorry" :)

I don't check mine weekly as I don't always use the Supra weekly. I always check before doing a long run or if I'm using it regularly though. Despite the fact I'm sure I've got a very small leak somewhere and my valve stem seals are past their best, the level hasn't dropped noticeably in the last 2.5k since the oil was last changed.

I never needed to top up oil on my last supra, whether stock, BPU or single. Fill it up at the service and it stayed the same level until the next one.
Same here thank goodness. My last beast drank a litre every month.

As i only use mine on weekends or once during the week etc i do check it every time i go out in it.

Its better and cheaper to check it as much as possible as you could develop a leak and maybe a bulb on your dash is out then good night engine and hello overdraft.

You have to put oil in them.................oh sh!t.....:D

Had the car 16 months and have never needed any oil in mine. Had a full change in August and has only done about 4k miles since then. Sounds like your car is a good un Anja...;)

H.

I'm keeping a steady eye on mine, I don't want anything to go bang!

So if your car is using a lot of oil, what are the main culprits that should be looked at in order to rectify it? Valve stem seals have been mentioned - what else?

Only a bit concerned I guess because with our Fiat we had to top up about once a month or so. :(

So infrequest I can't remember on mine.

FIAT.... I used to have one as a runaround;

the geordies describe it; (put your best geordie accent on)

"fiat worse than death"

or the macams

"fix it again tomorrow"

lol, it was not engineering worthy of positive comments :)