The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My practical boot install and Ipod set up

Guest Garfy

Guest Garfy

Ever since I have owned my supra (nearly 5 years now) I've been meaning to install a sub or two in the boot, but I didn't want to go over the top for a number of reasons, didn't want to add to much weight, need to use the boot from time to time, and I have grown out of the thump thump thump type of system.

Well about two weeks ago these two little 6" beauties came up for the bargain price of £50

First impresions were, wow these look impressive, and very different, the magnet is positioned infront of the spider, very unusual.

Next stage was to get an amp, well a bit of searching and a few days later I had managed to get myself an old Alpine V12 2 channel amp from ebay for £26!!!!! yes only £26

Then it was build a box time, the initial idea was to build a box into that area that the stock sub would go, if I had one, but I soon realised that these subs were just to damn deep, so i then decided to to build a box that fitted neatly behind the back seat, a little investigation found that the back panel on the seat can be removed, and that there was enough room to build a box that would fit under the roller blind, so I made a box that fits in there and is bolted to the seat back panel, so when you fold the seat forward the box goes with it, giving me more boot space and moving the subs away from harm.

I couldn't be happier with the results, it looks great, doesn't take up to much space, and because I used 12mm MDF it doesn't weigh to much.

And the real suprise is how these things perform, OMG they are stunning, I just can't believe how good they are, I can't reckomend them enough, I keep getting people to sit in it and listen, they are totally shocked when I open the boot to show them whats making all that base, most don't believe me at first.

enough waffling, heres the pics

The Ipod set up I actually did some time ago but haven't got around to posting any pics, all I did was remove the ashtray and use an old CD case to make a new bottom, then I stuck a hard foam to the top of it, works rather well for something so simple, and it can be returned to stock in a few minutes.

I hope you like, and it gives some of you some ideas for you own systems, it really goes to show that you dont need to fill your boot with subs to get a good sound, I just wish there was a way I could let you hear it.

Guest Garfy
that kind of boot install is exactly what i want! make me one :p

I'd happily make you one, it only took me a couple of hours, I think the problem will be finding the subs, my friend got them for me from someone in Germany, I'm not sure if they are available over here, but if you simply want a box the same as that I can knock one up for you no problem

Guest Garfy
where have you put the amp? cheers

At the moment it is sitting ontop of the foam tool holder thing on the R/H side of the spare wheel, but I will be making a cut out in that to fit the amp in, I'll post a pic when its done.

i intend to get my audio sorted out and get rid of the stock UK amp and head unit. i need some door speeker aswell so ill see what i can get. What size are the speekers? got any other info on them?

When i get time im gonna pop in the car audio shop just up the road and see what they say.

But ill favorite this thread and get in touch when ive found out and sorted the rest of my crap out as i assume i wont have the imputs on the stock uk amp to plug them in :p

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Guest Garfy
i intend to get my audio sorted out and get rid of the stock UK amp and head unit. i need some door speeker aswell so ill see what i can get. What size are the speekers? got any other info on them?

When i get time im gonna pop in the car audio shop just up the road and see what they say.

But ill favorite this thread and get in touch when ive found out and sorted the rest of my crap out as i assume i wont have the imputs on the stock uk amp to plug them in :p

They are Carpower Raptor 6 subs, and are 6" thats all the info I have mate, you will need another amp for them, but look on ebay there are loads on there, also I would try this before uprating your speakers, you might find you dont need to after, because you can take all the bass away from the speakers and into these subs.