The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RIP GT4088R.. another one bites the dust

Mike B

Had a T4 gasket go after Marham, so I pulled the turbo apart to replace it. Having run the tubby on street for 6 months I have had no issues. Pretty certain this was done at Marham.

I gave the GT35R the same abuse at Marham without WI and it was fine, but this is not the first 4088 or 4088R to go exactly like this. Some say antilag does it, but I recon these blades are not strong enough for hard use.

Looking for a new tubby now.... BL seems my first choice. Will be asking lots of questions soon :)

May be a T04R?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I almost went for the GT4088 when I saw Private piles car on the dyno, very impressive spool and power curve but it does seem too fragile for consistent hard use

I would avoid the T04R, I have just moved away from this turbo, its a bit dated now, I would consider the T67 DBB or T04Z

Doh, To4Z I meant... the one that Ernie uses. I hear good things about the T67, it's got turbline blades 2x the thickness on the Garrett.. will have to go and dig out that comparison chart of Wez.

What I really want is a VVT turbo.

Doh, To4Z I meant... the one that Ernie uses. I hear good things about the T67, it's got turbline blades 2x the thickness on the Garrett.. will have to go and dig out that comparison chart of Wez.

What I really want is a VVT turbo.

I ran the T04Z in my 2.7 stroker RB26 and it was a very good turbo (made 735 at 1.8bar on pump fuel), the downside of the HKS kit is the price, the T67 DBB has just been fitted to my new build and should make some interesting numbers as Gaz1 has proved, it also has a good reliability record as far as I can see

Mike, do you use antilag? looks more like debri damage to me. I pulled mine apart after Marham and found the turbine as new.

Yeah that does look a little more damage than wear and tear, especially after 6months use,

Werent the previous issues with the GT4088 i.e Truck Turbo?

What filter and breather system do you have on your car? Is your exhaust system a true 3inch or do you have one of those 'quiet' exhausts?:)

What's the throttle response on the TO4Z like? will it drive on track?

Watch out for all the Orido vids with the RSP supra, he has a T04Z running in that with a set of cams, vvti, it doesnt look great in all honesty but still does the business

The Garrett T67DBB will be similar I expect, up the boost on the 35R or buy another 4088R I'd say

What's the throttle response on the TO4Z like? will it drive on track?

The T04Z has a very good spool time for a mid sized turbo, but on a tight track the lag may become an issue, I will have to see what the T67 brings but I have installed NOS for progressive spool, not that that would be much use on a long track run

And if it's a proper pucker petrol version then you've got to stop and think about why it's happening...

Plug check:innocent:

Thats exactly what I was thinking,but the more I look at it the damage is on all blades, at the same part, it looks more corrosion than spontaneous debris

EGT's on diesels are a LOT lower.

It would be interesting to know what these were, and if Mike is using one of these 'silent' exhausts,

The primary reason for going as big as I could along with WI on my system was to keep egt's down, although if it was a diesel turbo supplied, even the lowest egt's would still be higher than a diesels

Mike' date=' do you use antilag? looks more like debri damage to me. I pulled mine apart after Marham and found the turbine as new.[/quote']

Nope, I do have launch control, but never use it in anger.

Yeah that does look a little more damage than wear and tear, especially after 6months use,

Werent the previous issues with the GT4088 i.e Truck Turbo?

What filter and breather system do you have on your car? Is your exhaust system a true 3inch or do you have one of those 'quiet' exhausts?:)

Definately not damage due to impact, Jamie P's and Jay's went exactly the same way....

You mean cam breather? If you are referring to my exhaust it's a 4" DP stright through...

It would be interesting to know what these were, and if Mike is using one of these 'silent' exhausts,

The primary reason for going as big as I could along with WI on my system was to keep egt's down, although if it was a diesel turbo supplied, even the lowest egt's would still be higher than a diesels

The 4088R is a dedicated petrol tubby, different from the standard 4088,

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4088R.htm

It came with a .95 ar, and I played with .68 and settled on .82 housing for response.

The 35R didn't have enough grunt for me... :( but I did like it's drivability. The 4088R was a good halfway house between the big tubs and 35R but it's just not strong enough...

can these things be fixed out of intrest?

Mike' date=' do you use antilag? looks more like debri damage to me. I pulled mine apart after Marham and found the turbine as new.[/quote']

Maybe the gasket damaged it? saying that on the last 2 i broke i never had a gasket or antilag so it seems they may just be weak.

it looks more corrosion than spontaneous debris

Not a chance bud, and the car ran perfectly aside the gasket leak, still makes really good power when spooled, and the tubby makes no complaints other than late spool which I put down to the gasket. As with 2 other 4088's I know of, for sure like chris says, it's heat damage.

there is no mystery mouse with a file, climbing up the tailpipe and night...

Maybe the gasket damaged it? saying that on the last 2 i broke i never had a gasket or antilag so it seems they may just be weak.

I'm going with tissue paper blades... have you seen for thin they are compared to a t67?...

and 190mph at Marham on slicks is a tough environment for 30 minutes straight...

and I pulled the gasket it's intact 100%

Ring Garrett with the cartridge part number, my bet is you have a diesel turbo and they won't take the heat or RPM of high performance petrol engine usage. The number is on the Garrett tag on the cartridge itself.

You know what? I don't want to know!! if it is, I would be upset.. and no good would come of it other than everybody else knowing that you should never buy a 4088....

It's sold as a high performance 700hp turbo! http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4088R.htm

I'm going with tissue paper blades... have you seen for thin they are compared to a t67?...

and 190mph at Marham on slicks is a tough environment for 30 minutes straight...

and I pulled the gasket it's intact 100%

T04z it is then:)

Looking towards a new tubby, I can't believe that there is so much difference between the units. I've read discussions on here about generic cartridge types and turbine/compressor blades + so forth... surely a lot of tubbies, hks in cluded must use similar parts to all the other mfr's..

"The HKS Signature Series Turbos are Garrett based, but have re-engineered compressor and turbine wheels along with specific A/R and trim levels to maximize power output."

taken from; http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1993

it's hard to justify $3120 for a non BB unit....:search:

I fancy a TO4Z, as it is recommended a lot, but the price for the spec looks over the top compared to garrett and BL.