The mkiv Supra Owners Club

changing my ato gear knob

fruity_south

hope i have put this in the right place. just picked up my supra yesterday and i have already changed the handbrake and some other stuff but am now looking at oing the gear knob. its an auto with the overdrive button. i now i can put te o/d on the dash on a switch but i have no idea on how to remove the gear knob, iv looked for screws andgrubs ect, and have been able to remove the side bit the overdrive switch is attached to but i cant for the life i=of me see how to remove it.

please help!!!

Off the top of my head...

Remove the fascia trim around the gear lever by gently pulling it up. Then unscrew the 4 (I think) mounting screws holding the gear assembly surround in place, which allows you to lift it away from the gubbins underneath it and access all the connectors. The blue connector towards the centre console is where the O/D wires originate, as well as the back light for the gear lever surround. The O/D wires are held in place by twist clips around the gear lever and can be freed quite easily.

Then pull down the plastic sleeve at the bottom of the gear lever itself. This will allow access to two screws front and back on the shaft. Remove them and pull the lever away and you can see the O/D wires protruding from its base (2 x white wires). The only proper way to remove the O/D button is to CAREFULLY dis-assemble it from the rear, which allows you to disconnect the 2 white wires from the button. These can then be threaded VERY CAREFULLY back through the gearknob, which frees them up.

At this point you are free to do what you want with the O/D wires and button. The connector must stay connected as it bridges connections used by the speed limiter and affects it when it's removed (cheap de-limit, but God knows what else it affects), but you can re-assemble the button itself, extend the wires and route them wherever you want.

The big question on my mind though is... Why? The button is fine where it is?

cheers for that, its not the button i have a problem with its the knob itself, the leathers all faded and has started pealing off just wanted to put a nice one on to match the handbrake. seems like alot of effort. i can change the tye of switch i use cant i cos i want to use a small toggle switch.