The mkiv Supra Owners Club

possible leak locations at rear of engine.

hodge

Its definatley not from the cam covers as the gaskets have been changed.

I think it may be coming from between the engine a gearbox i.e gearbox seal. is this a common fault or is there anywhere else I could get a leak around this area. Im reluctant to take the gearbox off to do the seal as im gona do a 6 speed conversion next year but seems to be getting slightly worse now.

Any help would be apprecited

Cheers

Hi Colin

When i park my car in the garage over night there is oil on the floor when I take it out the next day. Ther patch seems to be where the gearbox meets the engine I think.The car is going to get the chamber etc checked tomorrow so am gona have a good look. I was just wanting a heads up really for possible culprits if you know what I mean.

I have exactly the same issue, infact ive just came back in from lying under the car for half an hour, mine is just damp now and again(ooh err missus), i took the inspection covers off and looked in with a dental mirror, seems pretty dry in there, does the auto have these inspection covers, might be worth a peek.

Mine started with oil patches down the back of the engine in the area of the block/gearbox. Recently my clutch started slipping but has now again stopped and is fine. I think that the oil is weeping on to the clutch plates and then causing it to slip until it's burned off.

It's off to Matt on Tuesday for a new clutch and rear main seal though, hopefully this will be the problem.

Its definatley not from the cam covers as the gaskets have been changed.

I think it may be coming from between the engine a gearbox i.e gearbox seal. is this a common fault or is there anywhere else I could get a leak around this area. Im reluctant to take the gearbox off to do the seal as im gona do a 6 speed conversion next year but seems to be getting slightly worse now.

Any help would be apprecited

Cheers

I had the same issue after my TT swap. turned out that it was bad valve cover seals. The engine oil used to drip from the back side of the valve cover and every morning I would find oil on the floor near the rear of the engine. Try replacing your valve cover seals, if not then it should be rear main seals.

• 3 years later...

Total thread revival WOW.

I do remember this it was my blue supra. It turned out to be my oil pressure sensor which was fitted in the union bolt. It was 1 of those cheap round brass colored sensors. The nut on the end had worked itself loose and was letting oil past the seal. Whilst I was driving it was blowing back under the car onto the box making it look like it was coming from rear crack seal.

I binned the cheap gauges and bought a set of Defis.

I thought yours was a 6 speed..

Since I've had mine, there's a drip (that doesn't drip) and a small patch of oil between the engine and gearbox. It's never dripped off before as far as I can see.

IGNORE ME, didn't realise it was an old thread.

Total thread revival WOW.

I do remember this it was my blue supra. It turned out to be my oil pressure sensor which was fitted in the union bolt. It was 1 of those cheap round brass colored sensors. The nut on the end had worked itself loose and was letting oil past the seal. Whilst I was driving it was blowing back under the car onto the box making it look like it was coming from rear crack seal.

I binned the cheap gauges and bought a set of Defis.

been under the car this morning and well it was very similar to what you had, turnt out to be the cheap sump nut and washer i used to block the stock second turbo feed, great help guys thanks and if any one searches they now have 2 things to check :D