The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yet another newbie...

Guest Barrie

Guest Barrie

... possibly looking to buy.

I was looking to get an MR2 Turbo, but the gf wanted a 4 seater so much that she forced the issue by starting us in the family way :)

So basically I'm just looking to see if a Supra is "practical" for my needs (and what else is or may be... Scooby, M3/M5, XK8, RX8, etc.).

So, I live in London, have on street parking in a private, but not secure, estate, so I'm a bit worried about thieves and vandalism...

Another concern is fuel consumption, though I only use my car every few weeks or so I'm not too bothered.... i.e. I've just done 600 miles to Cornwall and back, in my Prelude, averaging 18mpg... but usually a tank full will last me about 300+/-20miles, which is several months...

What sort of mpg could I expect from a Supra when being driven both gently or "sensibly" hard?

:hello: and :welcome:

... a 4 seater

I'm just looking to see if a Supra is "practical

:rlol: The supra is really neither. Technically 4 seats yes but in reality they're pretty useless.

Mpg probably between 15 and 25 depending on how you drive.:)

I had a baby seat in the back of my supra so no probs there.

Mpg wont be a prob for you a tt will be 10-15mpg driven hard or 20-25mpg if really carefull.

I had an mr2 turbo before the sup and allthough it was a stunning car its not a patch on the supra tt

The Supra rear seats are little more than a nice touch. They're not particularly practical at all, unless both you and the misses are under 5 feet tall! That said, I'm sure some members on here have coped with a Supra up until the little uns get to a couple of years old.

I get ~20mpg from my TT (combined town, motorway and some hard pulls), but if you drive them hard frequently they'll return a hell of a lot less than that! A tank usually gives just under 300 miles, but I've had about 340 out of it before now, and about 200 from a tank wouldn't be unheard of (Tanks are 70l on imports or 80l on uk cars).

Welcome to the club too! :)

Welcome

Forget the rear seats of the Supra ... if you don't wanna drive with your knees on the dashboard, the rear of the front seat almost touches the lower part of the rear seats. Even for young kids, problem!

My son (4 years) and I drive on ourselves and let the girls (wife an daughter) at home :-)

Hope you will however go for one ... greatest car :-P

PHR stage 1

:welcome:

The rear seats are good for kids, my neice loves to sit on the back seat and she's 5 yr old.

And last time i filled my tank (60 litres) i got around 305 miles which included about 180 miles of motorway and rest in the city for a 1998 N/A Auto.

hope this helps :)

Guest Barrie

Thanks for all the replies!

I've got a Prelude at the moment, so the rear seats sound pretty similar... I'm looking at a baby seat in 6 months, so wont need more space for a couple of years yet. (and the carefully chosen GF is a petite 5'0" ;))

And frankly, the fuel consumption doesn't sound too different either...

Do they attract much negative attention from thieves and vandals?

Guest Angry Koala

We've had 4 adults (one of whom is 6'4" and 18 1/2 stone) in a Supra (2 different cars) for the run to Japfest 2 years running now and while the girls have wanted a bit of a stretch having spent an hour in the back each way it's certainly not been a major hassle. Having said that I wouldn't want to do it regularly but I would have thought a baby seat wouldn't be an issue. :)

Fuel is as everyone else has said and really does depend how often you play with the second turbo :D

I would think it's no more likely to get vandalised/nicked than any other Jap performance car - just make sure it's got the best security on it you can afford if not already on when you buy.

Guest Barrie

Hmmm, are these questions better in another place in the forum?

Are Supras a complete arse in heavy traffic or queues?

I'm having recollections of my 309GTi that wanted to go-go-go, or stop, and nothing in between... (Prelude is very civilised and only wants to go-go-go when asked to :))

Probably not the best place to ask this next question... but any suggestions of other cars worth considering? (other than BMW, Scooby/Evo, Mitsubishi...)

Guest poodle

i find my tt manual supe very very controllable at low speeds, infact more controllable at speeds than any other car i have driven, if i want to hold it at 10mph up hill behind a tractor i can sit back relax and do just that (not that i had much choice last time). I dont have my speedo converted but instead opted for that replacement dial that shows mph (so i only have 110mph max on dial) but this allows for greater accuracy over what speed your actually going (having said that i think my dial is currently about 5mph out)

Have driven an rx8 and you will find the rear seats in that really good,handles great but you have to push the revs for performance and fuel consumption about 17mpg,250 miles to tank if you nurse it but thats no fun.I wouldn't be buying one without a warranty either :D

Are Supras a complete arse in heavy traffic or queues?

Probably not the best place to ask this next question... but any suggestions of other cars worth considering? (other than BMW, Scooby/Evo, Mitsubishi...)

First question I'd say depends on whether you go for manual or auto. My auto is an absolute pleasure to drive in traffic at walking pace, and still gives the smiles per mile when you open her up after the traffic's cleared :D I've heard that the 6 speed is a bit agricultural, but having never significantly driven one, I can't really comment.

One of my best friends has an RX8. Not too shabby on performance stakes, and the rear seats are more practical than the Supras. I find sitting in the front feels more claustrophobic than the Supra though. Need to rev the nuts off it for it to go, and it sounds like a motorbike :( He gets similar mpg to me, and his is now using oil at an alarming rate, so he thinks it could be due a rebuild soon (and on

Guest Angry Koala
He gets similar mpg to me, and his is now using oil at an alarming rate, so he thinks it could be due a rebuild soon (and on

Mazda quote 1 litre of fuel per 500 miles for the RX8 in normal operation (ie before even getting near worrying about rebuilds!) which is frankly nuts. One of the guys in work reckons he spends nearly as much again on oil as he does on fuel lol

Guest Barrie

Yeah I figured the RX8 fuel consumption wouldn't be far different, but I didn't know about the oil - I guess it's just a quirk of the rotary engine...?

So... it's slower and uses the same fuel... hmmm

Nice to know the Supra is more spacious up front, that's one thing I like about my Prelude vs RX8...

Time to start shopping soon I think :)

I was planning on a manual TT, just due to convention for sports cars, but it seems the auto is well liked, so worth a test-drive too I guess!

I was planning on a manual TT, just due to convention for sports cars, but it seems the auto is well liked, so worth a test-drive too I guess!

The auto is certainly worth test driving, I *personally* wouldn't have one but am always surprised just how good the auto box is when I get to drive them. They are better than even the modern prestige sport auto's IME.

A few tests drives is the best way to go about it. I'm sure there are some local members that would be willing to take you for a drive...

Guest Barrie
A few tests drives is the best way to go about it. I'm sure there are some local members that would be willing to take you for a drive...
Is there anyone around-ish south London? (I'm in Vauxhall, but obviously can travel). I'd love to be able to give one a good looking over and get some inside tips :)

Do manuals always cost more? Or is it just a quirk with what's for sale right now? (Elephant insurance is also £100 more for the manual :blink:).

Do manuals always cost more? Or is it just a quirk with what's for sale right now? (Elephant insurance is also £100 more for the manual :blink:).

usually yes......

barrie check out the cheap one on ebay right now, its in london somewhere...........could be right on your doorstep!?