The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray advice

JamesC

I'm thinking about getting a respray just to sort out scratches and dints which have appeared i nmy car. I was at the bodyshop this morning and have a couple of options. I was going to have the windows taken out, but he said he can pull the rubber back front window so you wont be able to tell. Obviously this would be different for the side and rear windows though. He said he pays a window man to take them out if i wanted, but if they break obviously its going to be me that has to pay for a new one. How hard is it to remove the rear and side windows (for a experienced window man) without smashing?

Also, i could save some money by stripping the car down myself. How hard is this for a novice like myself? Would i need to buy new seals for door handles, bumpers etc for when it goes back together.

The problem with this is that i will probably chip the paint when putting it back together. Would you pay the extra for them to do it?

Cheers :)

I would strongly suggest getting the glass out. The rear 1/4 glass does come out without them breaking but you will need someone who is pretty good.

Rear window has no need to break and the front one is so cheap i would suggest replacing it anyway.

where did you go to get your quote on the spray job and how much if you dont mind me asking - pm me.

Im looking for some where to get a respray in the same colour (antracite) however I have been told I dont need the roof and boot lid done as in mint con and that the can cut into the paint and it would be unnoticable. was Quoted £750 on that which is proper cheap however the fella is meant to be amazing but I am put off as he does not have a oven and he is a Truck sprayer so I dont feel comfortable having him spray my supra but again people recomend him.

Lew

I would strongly suggest getting the glass out. The rear 1/4 glass does come out without them breaking but you will need someone who is pretty good.

Rear window has no need to break and the front one is so cheap i would suggest replacing it anyway.

front is cheap? they retail at like £800!! when i needed one it was "scratched" :eyebrows: so got it down t £300! stil not cheap?!

i have the receipt some where, if i didnt put it with the old supra when i sold it? it was national windscreens, my dad new the bloke so got it down to £300 cuz of the "scratch"

oh fitted. 300 is fine for a new screen including fitting

Ok cheers for the advice, i think no matter what i'm going to have to have the rear quarter and rear windows taken out because it'll look shit if it's just masked up, and i guess while he's there he should do the front window :)

What about stripping it down and putting it back together? Will i have to buy loads of new seals etc? And can a noob do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate - which body shop you using up this way if you don't mind me asking?

Not too sure about the blacks - there are some nice ones out there. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the blacks in the BMW and Audi range - also Porsche's Basalt black is pretty sweet!

I have been told I dont need the roof and boot lid done as in mint con and that the can cut into the paint and it would be unnoticable.
The rear wings and the roof is all in one section. I'd be very surprised if an unpainted roof can be blended in very well.

thats what I thought, I have had quite a few sprayers look at the car all given different advice, some have shown me examples of there work which have been very good but then gave me off putting advice.

For example one sprayer has been doing it for 20years he used to do hot rods, roof chops, candy colours that kinda work, still does. so looking good there, I have check a example out on a door. and spotted a droplett like a splodge ( think of a pond when you drop a stone in you get a ripple) He explained this is due to car polish been on the car from vallets, he stated when your sanding the car it gets into to the base, so it causes these type of effects when painting the car, then he said once it has had a machine polish they will come out, I want to see it complete though, that was very off putting. Is that true? I also asked if he had a oven he said no its not needed these days due to the paints used, all you need is a dust tight room.

some say they can cut in and leave the roof and said yeah its a good idea, the other's say I would just get it fully sprayed if your getting that much done ( My thoughts exsactly ) so why bother leaving the boot and rooth?... apparently been in perfect condition.

One sprayer said I dont need a full respray just a flash over?

Another guy told me he can polish out most the scratches and touch up the odd little chip and once its coverd and polished you would never see them again. As for paint work needed he said just the bonnet, front bumper, right wing, back bumper done and that he could section out the stone chips on the rear left arch, Cut the section out spray it laqure it then buff it and i wouldnt see it again ( got 3 stone chips on the rear left arch, water has got under and buble the laqure :( ) He said a full respray in my colour is not needed when he can sort what needs doing and it will be allot cheaper.

I dont know where to go to be honest, the places i get told are good a booked till christmas and want 3 grand to 6, they just say they will fully respray it windows out the works. to be honest i cant afford 3k ( i know you get what you pay for)

The guys who give honest advice say im been picky and need only this and that doing and if your that botherd get a flash over unless i have money to burn.

Then some are really cheap, Ie the truck sprayer, found out not to go near him apparently his work is terrible, yet he was recomended by one of the biggest coach works up here, they quoated me 3k but instanly said they wouldnt let me pay it, He said they would do my car for 3k but why pay that much when the guy next door will do just as good of a job for a fraction of the price, when asking why, They said there costs are high due to making a few £100 on small insurance jobs rather then charging a sensible price on a full respray and loosing money on little jobs they have to put there prices for a full respray right up. which i can understand.

After hunting about for sprayers allot of the high priced places explained they charge allot due to loosing money on insurance jobs and they honestly would rather not do it as they loose so much work.

I've been to look at a few people's cars, 1 car cost £800 for a full respray, worst job i've ever seen!, it felt like sand paper and you spot over spray from a mile off.

One members car off here was £1000 and has a fantastic job. Show car standards and was a complete colour change, but again the fella who does it wont spray any more, again due to loosing money on insurance jobs :( )

The hunt continues

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

Hi mate - which body shop you using up this way if you don't mind me asking?

Not too sure about the blacks - there are some nice ones out there. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the blacks in the BMW and Audi range - also Porsche's Basalt black is pretty sweet!

I'm using a place in Sunniside called ASP, did a friend of a friends car a few weeks ago and was a good job. I'll be the guinea pig for you! lol

I think i'm going to stick with Astral Black, keep it standard.

pulling window rubbers back and masking round bits is for car traders

if you want a proper job, all parts , ie windows, handles, lights, mirrors, rear wing etc etc must come off the car, anyone doing it any differant is taking a shortcut !

I think they lose the money when they take on the bigger non-insurance jobs like these full resprays. They can get the smaller insurance jobs in and out in no time at all and charge a good mark-up to the insurance companies which is high-profit margin. In order to keep that high margin for full respray jobs they have to put prices up to the £3-6K territory.

Can anyone else comment on this can a good durable respray bedone without an oven?

As I'm keeping the car, and will generally be doing quite a few track days I expect to need quite a few visits to the sprayers, I have a guy local who is all the rage just now, but he dont have an oven, I suppose he could do for touch ups, his respray on his 350Z is very good(but then its his car:rolleyes:)

Can anyone else comment on this can a good durable respray bedone without an oven?

I did a DIY respray last year without an oven. Nine months later the paint was mostly fine. The only bad bit was where I hit a dog and lots of the lacquer cracked. TBH I think ovens just speed up the curing process, if the correct mixtures are used then oven-less resprays should be just as durable in the long term IMO. I can't comment on water based paints as I've not used them, I reckon these might not be so good as organic based for durability but time will tell. Although the recent legislation is trying to outlaw the use of organic paints I think it will be a while yet before you have to use water based paint.

• 2 weeks later...

And it begins....

Started stripping it down yesterday - all the easy bits ;):D

Interior so he can get the windows out

Spoiler-less look

And the window out (crappy camera phone, dont belive the hype):

I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow for a week so he should have made some progress for me to check out when i get back :)

And another car he had in: