The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another newbie

Guest tron20

Guest tron20

Hi guys, signed up the other day and have been looking through you forum for information on supra's, and to see if any are for sale ;) I've been on the lexus forum and preludeuk of recent, currently owning one of each, but have decided its about time I upgraded :)

I have seen a 1994 GZ model for sale with one previous uk owner and only 45k miles, but its an auto (needs a few things sorting on it) Is it quite common for the plastic hinges on the centre armrest/pocket to break off?

Anyway, I look forward to learning more information from you guys, I'll even try the search engine first :p but if you guys know of a 3.0 TT RZ, GZ, or RZ-S for sale relatively cheap with low miles let me know. Think its Jimi's bronze one which I've seen both on here and ebay for £8000 ish, just a shame its an auto, I've already got a 3.0i GS300 sport auto, so would prefer a manual supra.

Paul

P.s. can't wait for someone to point out all GZ's are auto's, need to study the buyers guide pdf again i think :)

Guest tron20

Thanks to all of you for the welcome, hopefully I'll find the right supra for me soon, although I may have found one :cool:

Paul

Guest tron20

OMG, the twin turbo boost in stock form is so addictive. I went and had another look at the storm blue one i've already seen once and had a test drive in it. It drove fantastically, no blue smoke on startup, or when the accelerator was blipped, but there were several things on it which I'd have to get done, such as the radio needs converting to receive uk stations, the armrest pocket is broken, prossibly needs replacing, the fog light wiring is horrible, no alarm or immobiliser, weathered paint on the top of the bootlid, the dash is in KM's (both trip and speedo) brakes maybe warped (and seem to be the smaller J-spec ones)

It was all a little off putting, especially when they only offered£1.8k for my lexus gs300 sport (which is almost perfect in comparison to the supra they had) I'm going to check back with them tomorrow and see how much they will give me in part ex on my car, but if its too low I'm only gonna offer them £1.5k less than they want for the supra in light of what needs doing, if they don't take it I'll have to find another one.

So if any of you know of an import GZ model with the extra's (I know the active spoiler is heavy and next to useless, but I want one :)) in either auto or rarer manual with lowish miles and stock (or close to stock) or maybe even an RZ model again low miles and stock auto or manual, let me know

Paul

Forget that thing you have just seen, it sounds like it has been imported by someone who has not done his job properly by skimping on the UK conversions. It's a buyers market out there, scan the ads, decide exactly what you want and wait and search until you find it.

Also there are plenty good cars for sale in this forum, have a look

Guest Angry Koala
I know the active spoiler is heavy and next to useless, but I want one :)

Who told you that mate? Having driven cars with and without I found that the active lip really does make a big difference in keeping the front end from going all light once you get up to a decent speed!

Guest tron20

It was something i've seen quite a few times about the active spoiler, but I'd still have one even if it was true :D

Paul

Welcome to the club and good luck with the search.

Who told you that mate? Having driven cars with and without I found that the active lip really does make a big difference in keeping the front end from going all light once you get up to a decent speed!

I removed my active spoiler a year ago and noticed no difference whatsoever at any speeds! :) The brackets on it are far too weedy to take any significant aerodynamic loads, so it won't produce any noticeable downforce. It does look cool though :cool: :D

Guest Angry Koala
I removed my active spoiler a year ago and noticed no difference whatsoever at any speeds! :)

I would respectfully suggest that if you can't feel any difference in the handling your active spoiler wasn't previously working or you don't drive quick enough for any sort of spoiler to have an effect. :)

The brackets on it are far too weedy to take any significant aerodynamic loads, so it won't produce any noticeable downforce.

What would you call "significant aerodynamic load"? I've never seen an active spoiler that points backwards cos the "weedy" brackets have snapped or bent.... Do you not think given the level of engineering on the cars and the weight saving that could have been achieved by leaving it off, that Toyota wouldn't have put it on if it didn't work?

I would respectfully suggest that if you can't feel any difference in the handling your active spoiler wasn't previously working or you don't drive quick enough for any sort of spoiler to have an effect. :)

Granted I've not tracked the car, but throwing a 1500kg+ car around, testing the limits, at speeds in excess of 60, on public roads, is probably asking for trouble in the long run IMO :) That said, I wouldn't say I drive my car like Miss Daisy ;)

What would you call "significant aerodynamic load"? I've never seen an active spoiler that points backwards cos the "weedy" brackets have snapped or bent.... Do you not think given the level of engineering on the cars and the weight saving that could have been achieved by leaving it off, that Toyota wouldn't have put it on if it didn't work?

Mine had bent, which is why I removed it ;) The brackets are solid enough to hold the spoiler in place, but you could probably bend them by hand. If that's the case, they can't apply much downforce to the car from the spoiler.

It was only an optional extra in Japan - surely if it was such a necessary feature, Toyota would have included it on all their Supras, not just the exports, as standard?

Given that some of the standard features on a UK car are geared towards cooling (bonnet scoop, rear diff oil cooler), I'd say it was there to direct air flow towards the engine bay to aid cooling at speed. I've not really looked into it tbh, but that's my theory :)

Guest Angry Koala
Granted I've not tracked the car, but throwing a 1500kg+ car around, testing the limits, at speeds in excess of 60, on public roads, is probably asking for trouble in the long run IMO :)

I wouldn't be testing the limits of my girlfriend's 1 litre Seat Arosa with tyres smaller than my old BMX at speeds "in excess of 60" .... you should be nowhere near the limits of a 170mph + sports car unless there are serious issues with your car affecting the handling and braking, you're using really cheap and worn out tyres or you're getting rather too close to your own limits rather than the car's.....

It was only an optional extra in Japan - surely if it was such a necessary feature, Toyota would have included it on all their Supras, not just the exports, as standard?

As Michael says above the J-Spec cars were limited to 180kph (112mph) and it was probably felt that the active spoilers weren't effective enough at these speeds to warrant the extra cost and weight.

Edit - to apologise to Tron for hijacking his thread!! Sorry mate!

You don't think that it might be there to add downforce at higher speeds then? Ones that J-Spec cars wouldn't reach due to their limiter?

I wouldn't be testing the limits of my girlfriend's 1 litre Seat Arosa with tyres smaller than my old BMX at speeds "in excess of 60" .... you should be nowhere near the limits of a 170mph + sports car unless there are serious issues with your car affecting the handling and braking, you're using really cheap and worn out tyres or you're getting rather too close to your own limits rather than the car's.....

As Michael says above the J-Spec cars were limited to 180kph (112mph) and it was probably felt that the active spoilers weren't effective enough at these speeds to warrant the extra cost and weight.

Edit - to apologise to Tron for hijacking his thread!! Sorry mate!

PM'd to avoid ruining tron's thread too much :) Apologies for the hijack as well!