The mkiv Supra Owners Club

no dump valve concern

L33

my current dump valve is attached to my intercooler hard pipe, im having a new fmic fitted this week, and ive ordered a hks ssqv, so until it arrives there isnt going to be a dump valve. is this a bad move to drive like it or is it ok? its a stock engine so not running extra boost!

the little black round ish thing? yea thats there, thats what the hks ssqv replaces?

ok so basically your taking the BOV off your old intercooler before your new one is fitted, it this correct?? So its going to leave a big hole in the system if im understanding correctly? why are you taking it off before? why not leave it and change the whole lot at the same time

not quite. my current dump valve is attached to the hard pipe, which is going to be replaced this week cuz im having a hole new fmic kit, so all new hard pipes so there wil not be any holes! because i dont have the hks ssqv yet i cannot fit it. im not attaching the hks to the hard pipe this time, i wil be replacing that black thing

if u mean the little black round ish thing on the left side of the engine yea thats stil there. my current dump valve is on the IC pipe coming up near the battery

yeah the little black round thing is the stock bov so you will be fine if you fit the hard pipes as that should stop your turbos stalling. Just dont go crazy with the boost ;)

yeah the little black round thing is the stock bov so you will be fine if you fit the hard pipes as that should stop your turbos stalling. Just dont go crazy with the boost ;)

boost shouldn't be an issue, its set to actuate at 0.9bar so should be fine as it will bleed off extra and open early :) and for the record CW always says if it was HIS car he would do away with a BOV all together. Cant see how this can be good but Chris is a knowlegable guy

i thought thats what the black thing was but wasnt sure! im not increasing the boost! nic said the hks ssqv should be here in about 2 weeks so i can fit it then. after all that its going to have the whifbitz 400bhp package, so then i wil be increasing the boost but the fmic and new hks wil be fitted by then.

was just checking the car wil be ok just running on the standard bov, like i said apart from fmic the engine is stock

i thought thats what the black thing was but wasnt sure! im not increasing the boost! nic said the hks ssqv should be here in about 2 weeks so i can fit it then. after all that its going to have the whifbitz 400bhp package, so then i wil be increasing the boost but the fmic and new hks wil be fitted by then.

was just checking the car wil be ok just running on the standard bov, like i said apart from fmic the engine is stock

Ahh ok sorry I thought you were running a single turbo. the stock bov will be fine. I only removed mine as it was leaking

I was led to believe this years ago, but Geoff Kershaw at Turbo Dynamics, Ken Brittain at Brodie Brittain Racing and Turbo Dynamics (making the three best rated turbo expertise people and companies I know) would seem to concur that the reason for recirculation valves was for noise abatement, not better spool. In the eighties, when F1 devoted millions to turbo development, did any F1 cars have recirculation valves? Do Indy cars with turbos until very recently have recircualtion valves? Wouldn't they if there was the slightest advantage? For sure, wouldn't turbo engined Le Mans cars use them, where longevity was a major criterion?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry bringing up an old topic, i have just had my hks ssqv welded on a hard pipe at the right hand side of my engine bay, i still remove the stock one though don't i? or do i leave that on as well im confused lol any got any pictures i could look at please

cheers

M

sorry bringing up an old topic, i have just had my hks ssqv welded on a hard pipe at the right hand side of my engine bay, i still remove the stock one though don't i? or do i leave that on as well im confused lol any got any pictures i could look at please

cheers

M

upto you?? either cap it off or leave it on. It wont make any difference either way