The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White smoke - Please help

cainhead

I had my engine changed to a tt back in Febuary and barring a few tweaks its been running fine. This was until I drove to Europe a few weeks ago for snowboarding and a trip to the nurburgring. On the way down the car started to judder under acceleration around and under 4000rpm. This came and went during the journey and after arriving I called my garage. Now I know that my o2 sensor was nearly gone but obviously was not the easiest part to get in the Austrian alps, so I reset the ecu to try a quick fix for the return. It was fine all the way to the ring, but during my first lap in started again. I left and headed home. Now I have changed the sensor but not had a chance to try it as I need some nrw tyres.

Im explaining all this because I have noticed that white smoke comes out on starting the car but soon stops, and upon researching this most answers have come up with gasket problems through moisture. Also one thing I read had the same symptoms as mine with the juddering and the smoke and it turned out to be the head gasket.

Im going to call my garage tomorrow but wanted some opinions first from some supra knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance.

I had my engine changed to a tt back in Febuary and barring a few tweaks its been running fine. This was until I drove to Europe a few weeks ago for snowboarding and a trip to the nurburgring. On the way down the car started to judder under acceleration around and under 4000rpm. This came and went during the journey and after arriving I called my garage. Now I know that my o2 sensor was nearly gone but obviously was not the easiest part to get in the Austrian alps, so I reset the ecu to try a quick fix for the return. It was fine all the way to the ring, but during my first lap in started again. I left and headed home. Now I have changed the sensor but not had a chance to try it as I need some nrw tyres.

Im explaining all this because I have noticed that white smoke comes out on starting the car but soon stops, and upon researching this most answers have come up with gasket problems through moisture. Also one thing I read had the same symptoms as mine with the juddering and the smoke and it turned out to be the head gasket.

Im going to call my garage tomorrow but wanted some opinions first from some supra knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance.

White smoke on start up is usually associated with condensation in the exhaust cainhead...

Does your temp gauge climb above the middle line??

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

Take off your oilcap and check for "mayo" - white creamy residue. If nothing but clean oil then it might not be that bad.

TBH what you now describe could well be condensation.

Another thing you could check is the coil pack connectors but unless they've been butcherd I doubt they would cause it.

just checked the oil cap and nothing white there. Plus I did have a look at the coil packs on saturday and they looked ok. The engine only went in end of feb and I ask the guys at the garage about the plugs which they said were all fine went the engine went in.

just checked the oil cap and nothing white there. Plus I did have a look at the coil packs on saturday and they looked ok. The engine only went in end of feb and I ask the guys at the garage about the plugs which they said were all fine went the engine went in.

Not being funny cainhead, how is the power delivery of your engine??

The power kicks in a lot more from about 4500 revs and get a kick at around the rev range but assume thats the secind turbo coming in. My garage has driven it quite alot as it has been back and forward for brakes etc and they have never said anything.

Also its a UK spec engine if that helps

The power kicks in a lot more from about 4500 revs and get a kick at around the rev range but assume thats the secind turbo coming in. My garage has driven it quite alot as it has been back and forward for brakes etc and they have never said anything.

Also its a UK spec engine if that helps

Its not your IC pipe that has popped off has it??

Would that of come of at a specific point?

Another thing I took off the large induction pipe that connects the air filter to the block and found a slightly damp black oil/paste like substance attached the side. Same kijnd of build up found in any engine but not sure if its meant to be in there.

Another thing I took off the large induction pipe that connects the air filter to the block and found a slightly damp black oil/paste like substance attached the side. Same kijnd of build up found in any engine but not sure if its meant to be in there.

Again perfectly normal, there's always a little bit of oil residue in the pipes due to the breather system on the TT. So long as it's not dripping with oil it's nothing to worry about

Edit - or was it in the induction pipe directly after the air filter? If thats the case it's time for a new filter!

im sure it was not directly after the filter. But I will check.

Just for reference its an aftermarket HKS filter.

All cats still in place, still a standard system

I have got the same 'filter' and they are poo!!

The reason your Supe is running rich is because of your o2 sensor, just like mine, needs replacing. After that you'll find that your

fuel economy has improved 'slightly'...:D

Well the filter is advisable to change anyway, so put that down on the to-do list.

As for the judder, is this only happening off boost or on partial throttle? Does it stop once the 2nd turbo is on boost? O2 sensor would be the first point of call if, it continues after swapping that then report back ;)

Whats the best replcemant for this filter. Mine came with the HKS on. Most posts about filters that I see say put an original airbox back on.

Thanks for all the help with this, hopefully I should have new rear boots tomorrow so I can drive leagally again and try the new o2 sensor. Will let you know the outcome.

Whats the best replcemant for this filter. Mine came with the HKS on. Most posts about filters that I see say put an original airbox back on.

You already answered it mate :p Could be a bit tricky finding one for the UK spec though...