The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cosmetic Difference?

benkei

Are there any visual differences between a pre-facelift and a facelift? Like slightly modified bumper design, different headlights, tail lights, indicators, etc.

I know most of the mechanical differences, like VVTi and bigger brakes and wheels... It's just on the outside I can't tell?

Pics if possible!!

Sidelights moved to the indicator pod in the bumper, side repeater moved from front wing to the front bumper, side repeater added just forward of the rear bumper, rear light surround is gray instead of black, dash has 3 small dials on the right instead of the large fuel and temp gauges... I'm sure there's others! :)

Guest ulysses31

changes also include the front bumper, and size/placement of indicators and side repeaters.

Not sure but the bonnet scoop and headlight washer thingys may also be a facelift change..... dont quote me on that one though.

check google or some peoples garages on here.

I know most of the mechanical differences, like VVTi and bigger brakes and wheels
Bigger brakes is not a facelift or VVTi thing. I've had a VVTi with the smaller 2pot front brakes.

Not sure but the bonnet scoop and headlight washer thingys may also be a facelift change..... dont quote me on that one though.
Actually, neither of those things are found on facelift Supras. They were standard issue on UK specs though (which were pre-facelift of course)

As Jake says, bigger brakes and wheels and VVTi are also on non facelift, so I'm afraid you're incorrect there. from what I've seen, Facelifts have front and rear indicators integrated into the bumpers, have different head lights and some also have little lights in the rear spats and reflectors inside the doors

As Jake says, bigger brakes and wheels and VVTi are also on non facelift, so I'm afraid you're incorrect there.
No mate, that's not what I said. What I meant was that facelift or VVTi Supras do not necessarily come with the larger brakes (Some facelifts have them, some don't)

Also, to correct you on another thing, all VVTi Supras are facelift ones - but not all facelifts are VVTi because VVTi came out after the facelift changes were introduced.

I've seen there's a lot of confusion with Supras as they have so many additional options to be added, and the facelifting doesn't seem to be at a set point, more of a gradual thing! The pictures really helped Tee, thanks!

Are there slight changes to the rear spoiler too? I've seen some with more 'pointy' spoilers where others are more rounded at the back...

I've seen there's a lot of confusion with Supras as they have so many additional options to be added, and the facelifting doesn't seem to be at a set point, more of a gradual thing! The pictures really helped Tee, thanks!

Are there slight changes to the rear spoiler too? I've seen some with more 'pointy' spoilers where others are more rounded at the back...

The facelift Supra was launched May 1996, the 2JZGTE VVTi engine was launched September 1997. So as Jakes said the first facelift TT Supras had the non-VVTi engine between that period.

No change to the rear wing, are you thinking of the TRD rear wing? Pics here: http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98103