The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you....

Stratty

...remove the leather gater around the gear shift?

I am having my dash panles resprayed and need to replace it as it is grubby but dont know how to get it off.

I didnt want to try and just pull it apart in case I snapped something and thats the last thing I need when I have forked out for respraying them.

Cheers

Manual?

Loosen the bottom of the gaiter by grabbing through and underneath it, then lifting the edges; the plastic ring at the bottom of the gaiter will pop out.

There is a little velcro bit at the top of the gaite; undo that and pull the gaiter over the top of the gearstick.

Done.

The gaiter is permanently attached, the plastic studs on the underside are melted to hold the ring in place. I usually just pull on the plastic ring and it breaks the melted part of the studs away, alternatively you can drill or grind the heads off to release the ring. You will need to glue the gaiter back on afterwards.

I used a soldering iron to soften the plastic 'rivets' then carefully prised each point away, one at a time. it needed a bit of trimming to re-fit, but with a hot soldering iron it was easy enough to melt the plastic back into place once the gator was refitted. I also took the opportunity to replace the gator with a new one from ebay (hand made Italian leather job for which cost about £25!), but looked like new afterwards

I used a soldering iron to soften the plastic 'rivets' then carefully prised each point away, one at a time. it needed a bit of trimming to re-fit, but with a hot soldering iron it was easy enough to melt the plastic back into place once the gator was refitted. I also took the opportunity to replace the gator with a new one from ebay (hand made Italian leather job for which cost about £25!), but looked like new afterwards

Ooh, what colour is your new gaitor Darryl??