The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Re-spray. Stock black or something else?

Scott

I'm planning a respray for June and i'm the kind of guy that wants to know exactly what he is doing way before its actually being done.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure the stock paint on a black sup is 202 astral black, or something like that, and its 2 pack. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of not having lacquer?

I'm just wondering if i would be as well choosing a differnet black that has lacquer. Of course that would mean i would have options on the type of black that i could use too.

Any suggestions or info to help me make up my mind would be appreciated

Cheers

Something that I've been playing with paint wise, is a fiat metallic black then covered in a dark purple candy... Looks metallic black, but when the light hits it right the metallic flakes have a dark purple tint :)

See that sounds nice but i think it would be a pain if the bumper needed a respray. Also i don't think my funds could stretch that far lol.

Something that I've been playing with paint wise, is a fiat metallic grey then covered in a dark purple candy... Looks metallic black, but when the light hits it right the metallic flakes have a dark purple tint :)

My old black Supra had something similar, it was 202 black and then it had metallic flek/glitter through it. You could only see it under good sunlight or strong lighting (like a multi storey car park).

See that sounds nice but i think it would be a pain if the bumper needed a respray. Also i don't think my funds could stretch that far lol.

Here is the thing, it isn't strictly speaking a candy, it is more of an ink dye in the lacquer layer...so the application would be the same as a normal black with a lacquer :)

See my post above, mine had all the loads of colours through it, but you can choose one colour if you want. My car cost me £1200 to get it done like that.

Hmmm, i might go for something a little special then. I had a kind of flake effect in my evo but i didn't like it. I'm liking the idea of this black/midnight purple idea though.

I would like to see some examples in the flesh. I might have left it a bit late.

Being a dark shade, bear in mind it looks almost black means that colour matching isn't as funny as some of the lighter candy's

Being a dark shade, bear in mind it looks almost black means that colour matching isn't as funny as some of the lighter candy's

Think i will go in and ask him about this to see what he thinks. Maybe he could make me up a sample?

Hmmm, i might go for something a little special then. I had a kind of flake effect in my evo but i didn't like it. I'm liking the idea of this black/midnight purple idea though.

I would like to see some examples in the flesh. I might have left it a bit late.

For reference the paint I used was a letcher waterbased fiat metallic black with Letcher purple ink dye and Letcher lacquer. I only picked the colour because it was dark and had sizeable flake particles, no other reason. (I'll dig out the paint codes if you want them)

For reference the paint I used was a letcher waterbased fiat metallic black with Letcher purple ink dye and Letcher lacquer. I only picked the colour because it was dark and had sizeable flake particles, no other reason. (I'll dig out the paint codes if you want them)

Ah wait, i don't want flakes in my paint. I don't like the glitter look no matter how subtle.

If i was doing it i would probably go for astral black with a fancy lacquer.

Ah wait, i don't want flakes in my paint. I don't like the glitter look no matter how subtle.

If i was doing it i would probably go for astral black with a fancy lacquer.

Hmmm, don't think it would work then.. (could be wrong), but the candy will only change the colour of light being reflected off the layer below, and if it is black... (Not sure, might try it tomorrow).

If you don't want a depth type effect, you would be better off getting a very dark purple mixed up, simple colour and then a clearcote over the top.

Why not go for Midnight purple? The Skyline colour. Flukey-Luckey has just has his Supra done in that colour.

When the guy quoted me he only quoted for the same colour. i will need to speak to him to see how much it would be for a colour change.

I'm guessing there are a lot of extras involved with a colour change?

what about Night Hawk black its what they do they Type R's in, Its pearl aswell, I think its supposed to be like one of best blacks to go for..? :eyebrows:

http://www.absoluteprelude.com/colors/01nighthawkblack.jpg

http://www.desperateseller.co.uk/DespSellPhotos/213567052742.jpg

Or if you go opposit, Audi R8 white ( Ibis White) :cool:

http://www.452-engines.com/uploaded_images/audi-R8-fast-and-furious-723561.jpg