The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active spoiler and FMIC fitting..

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Right all,

I recently picked up a 6-speed vvti supra and it has the active spoiler fitted, now I obviously wish to fit a FMIC but have heard you are unable to do so while the active spoiler mechanism is in place.

Which part stops the FMIC fitting is it the pipe work or the actual core? if it's the core I am considering getting a custom IC made which would be thicker in depth but shorter in height anyone looked into this or even done it?

Your opinions appreciated..

Nick.

Right all,

I recently picked up a 6-speed vvti supra and it has the active spoiler fitted, now I obviously wish to fit a FMIC but have heard you are unable to do so while the active spoiler mechanism is in place.

Please excuse my ignorance but why would you obviously wish to fit a FMIC?

Edited by spartan
Emboldened the word "obviously" to hopefully make my question clearer ... (see edit history)

Could be a number of reasons,

If the SMIC has passed its best, it is cheaper to buy a fmic with pipes than it is to buy a new SMIC.

Going single in the near future or just plain and simple, for show.

I had a FMIC on my UK psec and I swiftly swapped it for a smic as imo FMIC is pointless unless your going single.

Guest Nicholas

Could be a number of reasons,

If the SMIC has passed its best, it is cheaper to buy a fmic with pipes than it is to buy a new SMIC.

Going single in the near future or just plain and simple, for show.

I had a FMIC on my UK psec and I swiftly swapped it for a smic as imo FMIC is pointless unless your going single.

I intend to go single :)

• 8 months later...

I have a question ........

Do you guys and gals that have an FMIC fitted with a standard front bumper mesh infront on the intercooler or leave it bare??

Im intrigued as im very shortly going to get one of Envy's new intercoolers they have had produced and wanted to see what people do as i dont wanna get it ruined by leaving it open??

I fitted the active spoiler to the front bumper but had to lose everything else

:yeahthat:

Mine was all removed but the "blade" was some how attached to the front bumper including the bracket things on both ends... untill it took so much abuse over speedbumps that it fell off :p

I wish there was some way it could be bodged to keep it working. Ill investigate when/if i sell my car and pick up another soon :p

I am looking to do this aswell , by the looks of what I can see so far its going to have to be a custom intercooler made, might just go with a uprated smic that uses the stock location but its alot of money almost double that of a fmic.

:yeahthat:

Mine was all removed but the "blade" was some how attached to the front bumper including the bracket things on both ends... untill it took so much abuse over speedbumps that it fell off :p

I wish there was some way it could be bodged to keep it working. Ill investigate when/if i sell my car and pick up another soon :p

I have used this forum as a resource for active spoiler information, so I hope I can give back somewhat here. I posted this thread on the US Supraforums, so I hope it may be an aggregate of information for members on here as well. I would like to thank jevansio, ~big~, and whomever I stole the relay diagrams from (sorry!) in particular for the information and pictures they provided on this forum related to the active spoiler topic. I hope this helps...

Chris

~Rob~'s car in that article on supra forums is now my car.

The active spoiler bit the dust a few weeks ago. Its worth keeping in mind if it hits too many speed bumps or of you catch it against something when parking it wont last long as it no longer moves away at low speeds. After a while mine was starting to get worn down at one side so the little notches were not as noticeable. :(

In the end, i made some small aluminium brackets and bolted the spoiler back on to the bumper. Mine is fixed at the original hinge points at either side, and then theres 3 brackets fixed from the metal retainer of the spoiler to the fixing points of the black plastic lip at the bottom of the bumper.

In the end from the flexing it pulled its self undone from the plastic lip (fatigue i guess, aswell as old plastic) and broke the lip aswell. The alu brackets also snapped and bent :(

But while it held it was good!

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)