The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How can I undo my exhaust bolts ?

Rob_B

Hi All...

Tried to take off my old Dragger zorst today and replace it with my new Nur, but the bolts on the exhaust are not budging n look a little rusty !!!! Any tips I can use to free them up a little ? I have given them a good spraying with WD40 (for what its worth) and will have another go at em tomorrow.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

Ta,

Rob.

PS.. I was going to get a garage to change them over, but every single one I called said they wouldn't do it. !!!

Originally posted by Rob_B

Ahh, good idea bout the angle grinder.. Didn't think of that..!

There is some kind of shield thingy where the cat pipe is (only a thin metal sheild). Couldn't see a way to take it off. Are there bolts for that too ?

Thanks,

Rob.

Ive allways found that they either undo or snap pretty easy with a decent Hex socket on them , laying under a car with an angle grinder bucking and kicking aint my idea of fun !!!!!:thumbs:

dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dude

Ive allways found that they either undo or snap pretty easy with a decent Hex socket on them , laying under a car with an angle grinder bucking and kicking aint my idea of fun !!!!!:thumbs:

haha.. I'll try the ole snapping technique first then. As I said earlier I gave em a good spray with some WD so they may even come off without snapping. I have a new set of bolts anyway so either way is fine by me :D

Ta,

Rob.

Originally posted by Rob_B

Ahh, good idea bout the angle grinder.. Didn't think of that..!

There is some kind of shield thingy where the cat pipe is (only a thin metal sheild). Couldn't see a way to take it off. Are there bolts for that too ?

Thanks,

Rob.

It will be fine without the heat shield. This shield has the nuts welded to itself (captive nuts) and if the fasteners are rusted solid you may tear the nut from the shield. If you really want to re use it grind the heads off the BOLTS and fiddle with the shield in a vice, off the car. personally I'd bin it. If you are binning it bend it out of the way or cut it off to give better access to the fasteners.

Originally posted by dude

I recall laying under my Landy cutting the axle U-bolts off with a grinder, watching a shower of sparks bang off the fuel tank, which I already knew had a leak in it somewhere.

It was a challenging and thought provoking situation.