The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP away from home and with a split coolant pipe (Reading meet)

Sharpie

I'm visiting Bracknell and will be attending the Reading meet tonight but, on the way down to Bracknell this morning, I have just found that one of the silicone hoses on the polished rad pipe is split and is pissing coolant everywhere.

Does anyone going to the Reading meet have a spare top rad pipe hose just need one end of the hose,[sHOCK][/sHOCK] that I could loan from them ?

I have toyota bringing me in a new stock pipe and clips for tomorrow but, would like to get it fixed up tonight if I can.

Edit - If you could bring some tools too ? I guess that would help too......sorry to ask...

a couple of photo's of the split in the other end of the hose that is not leaking yet.

There area where it is leaking is at the water neck hose.

Does anyone know how much coolant the alternator can take before packing up ?

1split2.jpg

1split.jpg

It won't affect the alternator, short term Pete. Measure the OD of the metal pipe and I'll see what I have here, not sure how to get it to you though. If any car shops have flexible rad hose of the right ID (convoluted, like bellows) you could use that, temporarily. Long term just buy a stock top hose and get rid of that stuff!! It's not got enough give in those short lengths of silicone to accommodate engine movement, that's why it's split.

Thanks for the offer Chris, I have purchased 5ltrs of 4life which, added to the 2-3ltrs that I brought with me, should see me through until tomorrow with this level of leakage.

I was hoping that someone locally might be able to help me out for tonight.

The Toyota garage will have a new stock hose and clips for me by 10am tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Rad Hose T16571-46150 Mr T's price is £11.15 + Vat

Rad Clips x 2 T90467-37005 Mr T's price is £4.55 + Vat each.

£23.79 all in.

VERY easy to fit = no tools.

I just had to loan a screw driver to take the other pipe off.

My situation was different, by the time I fitted it, and the car had cooled down, the pipe was empty since, it has leaked everywhere :(

I have to say that the way the Toyota clips are pre-extended (kept open with a small metal red clip) was great, easy to slide on and then just ping off the small red clip holding the hose clip open and then then it snaps right in place.

I guess you could use a small container to catch any fluid loss as you take the old one off and would guess an