The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Detailing Advice Please

dibbleyuk

Right guys i got the supra in the garage last night for the first time in 6months its been sat outside washed weekly but not really cared for im getting it back on the road this summer and am going to spend the evenings this week getting the body work back up to scratch! as before it was gorgeous!

There are a few stains on the paint from bird cr*p over the winter and light swirl marks all over it :(:(:(

Whats the best thing to use to bring the paint back up to how it used to look and to remove the swirl marks.

Any other advice on detailing would be much apriciated?

Im going to get some scratch X later and try that :)

Thanks

Good man, get it looking great for the summer! :)

There are various ways you can go about this. Some will require more expense than others, but either way it is going to take you a while!

Ideally, it sounds as though it could do with a full machine polish, as quite honestly this is the only way to remove swirl marks, scratches and holograms. You can attempt it by hand and you will get good results, but it will take forever and will not produce the same results. However, you havent said that you have any kind of rotary/Dual Action Polisher so it seems your arms are about to get a good workout over the next week :) But there are several steps you will need to do before going at it with the scratch x.

This is what you will basicly require, i can happily go into more detail if you need, but not sure what you may or may not already know.

Firstly the car will need a thorough rinse down, followed by a good wash with the two bucket method to avoid putting anymore swirls in (you probably have enough to remove as it is!) Use a good shampoo for this, meguiars gold class is great. Then rinse again.

Dry it, i prefer to use drying towels than a chamois.

You then will need to clay the car. Meguiars sell a kit for this. This part is essential to removing any oxidation on the paint, bird crap etc. As with anything like this, its all in the preperation, you have to start with a smooth finish to create a perfect finish.

After claying, wash the car again, rinse and dry

You could then do with using a paint cleaner. Meguiars sell a step 1 paint cleaner system.

Now you can move onto the scratch x stage.

After this you will need to apply a good polish as the paint at this stage is pretty much totally unprotected.

After the polish you can apply a sealant which will lock a coat of protection in.

And finally you should apply a wax that is rich in canurba. Generally you can apply waxes in layers. Leaving time in between applying, removing it and then applying the next layer. This can give great results depending on what product you choose.

As i say, there are many different ways to achieve what you want here, this is just an example, and one ive written quickly for you whilst in a training course at work! :D If you are doing it with a machine then i can recommend you some great ways for this.

Happy to give you any tips that you need :thumbs:

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

I may be able to get hold of a mop but not sure at the moment. It was washed, dryed and clayed yesterday so thats step 1 done :) knew i was doing something right.

Im going to pick up a few more bits tonite on my way home but wasnt sure what to get.

Thanks for the reply.

no problem. As i say, doing this by hand compared by machine will be like chalk and cheese. But you can still produce fantastic results by hand. If your able to work in your garage under the halogen lights (if there are any) will give you a much better vision of what kind of imperfections you have to deal with.

PS, make sure you get some pics up :)

Its a massive double garage with 12 floresent lights so loads of lighting! :) i got it in there last nite and didnt relise how bad it looked, outside it looked lovely and shiny!

Im going to have a long few night ahead of me hopefully my mate will come up with the mop then it will make things easyer :)

Right spent 3 hours on it last night got half the roof done, rear quarter spoiler it has come up amazing im really happy with it. :)

That scratchx is great stuff.

Booked it in the have the bonnet paint as its microblistered while its been sat there :(