The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Enforcement - Speeding

Stevie72

A biker driving a de-baged Police Bike (not a police officer) was following me all the way home and I pulled into a garage as i thought i was being followed by a nutter.

The person said he was a bike trainer and using an ex police bike was able to video and record my speed. He must have been speeding as he caught up and i was doing 80 odd.

Is that person able to enforce against me? Can he hand that over to the police as it is an ex police bike and say here is the evidence?

Or does it have to be a police officer to caution and serve a Notice of Intended Prosection?

He was a total freak and i reported him to the police who seemed very sure that nothing can be done.

Any thoughts?

That's what i said to the police and they don't take too kind to people who imitate their jobs!!

How can you hand in evidence if you are speeding recording someone, mind you perhaps he might have been doing 70, recording me pulling away? don't know how camera's attached to moving vehicles work!

I can imagine that he uses this entrapment alot and basically bullies people on the road, he originally pulled away like a bat out of hell! I was a bit stupid in trying to keep up!

PS I did look up what he had on his vest and it is a legitimtate driving school, managed by skilled riders and managed by the police - can't see how he will keep his job long!

Edited by Stevie72 (see edit history)

Yes i agree, to be honest i think from what the Police said to me, is that they might be paying / calling the Company to report it. Shame i didn't think to take his number plate, although the garage does has CCTV if they want to take it further.

Put it this way, if i get a ticket through the post, i will be taking it further!

I accept that if you get caught either by speed camera or a police officer then fair enough, but not a fake robocop!

There was a guy years ago who was prosecuted for pulling people over and impersonating a police officer. I can't remember the all details as I was quite young but remember the basics because it stuck in my mind. He was driving some rep-mobile and had his own (fake) uniform, blue light and all.

Sounds like he might have sold up and bought a bike :D

Guest DevilsAdvocate
That's what i said to the police and they don't take too kind to people who imitate their jobs!!

How can you hand in evidence if you are speeding recording someone, mind you perhaps he might have been doing 70, recording me pulling away? don't know how camera's attached to moving vehicles work!

I can imagine that he uses this entrapment alot and basically bullies people on the road, he originally pulled away like a bat out of hell! I was a bit stupid in trying to keep up!

PS I did look up what he had on his vest and it is a legitimtate driving school, managed by skilled riders and managed by the police - can't see how he will keep his job long!

Name and Shame.

The guy sounds like a bit of a cnut to me, trouble is he may have some 'friends' in the force. Many years ago I had a visit from the local plod and 'advised' about my riding/speeding, seems that I had overtaken a senior off duty officer a few days prior. I found myself getting stopped for 'routine checks' regularly for months afterwards.

Roy

Edited by DevilsAdvocate (see edit history)

He has no exemption under the Road Traffic Act to speed. Therefore any "evidence" he hands over would only implicate himself. He sounds like a deluded "wannabe" and is bordering on impersonating offences. It wouldn't IMO go anywhere at court, and his actions are bordering on harassment act offences, for which he has no defence in law.

Thanks guys, to be honest i am a bit of a worrier (or a woos as my Fiance calls me!) and have these imagines of losing my licence with him making up was was doing over 100 ect, but if i was he was going a hell of alot faster.

As the Police said, sometimes there a friction between bikers and (super cars - yes i thought it was a nice compliment!) and you've probably just met a bit of a wide boy on the road!

Some loonie once flashed some sort of wallet at me through the passenger window and seemed to dislike something I had done on the road. He also had what looked like a police hat on the back shelf and a flourescent vest on a hook on the door pillar. I just knew in my water he wasn't kosher though, so decided to act daft and got out and started to plead with him that whatever I had done would be OK, I hadn't realised I was speeding, not indicating, spitting or whatever had wound him up. He became visibly empowered and excited and started to get really carried away, I thought he was going to get some toy handcuffs out ;) After a few minutes I asked to see his warrant card, which he had all sorts of excuses not to do, such as he'd let me off this time, but not if I started to get stroppy. I told him I had decided to risk it and was going to get stroppy, In fact I said I'd never assaulted a police officer, but now had this terrible urge to do so, and took a swing at the *anker. The guy suddenly decided he wasn't a copper, and he was just having a laugh... There are some saddos about, there really are. Trouble is weirdos like him may be one step away from doing something really bizarre :( My wife works for a medical supply company, at least bi annually she gets someone weird wanting to buy gear to impersonate medics, which is very worrying, unless they are female, 40DD with a slim waist and great looks, in which case they are free to do terrible things to me dressed as a nurse any time they want.

I like your post Mr Wilson!

Stevie72: Class One's post is pretty conclusive I think, but just want to add my thoughts as well.... If the faux-copper tried to use his video as evidence, one reason I can think of why it wouldn't stand up in court is that his equipment wouldn't be guaranteed to be calibrated properly. Because the bike's not owned by the police anymore, he could have done anything to the equipment which would falsify the readings/data it gave.

Guest DevilsAdvocate
Thanks guys, to be honest i am a bit of a worrier (or a woos as my Fiance calls me!) and have these imagines of losing my licence with him making up was was doing over 100 ect, but if i was he was going a hell of alot faster.

As the Police said, sometimes there a friction between bikers and (super cars - yes i thought it was a nice compliment!) and you've probably just met a bit of a wide boy on the road!

In 30 years of riding bikes I've never encountered any 'friction' with super cars or classic sports cars.

So what's the name of the 'Rider/Driver Training' A few of my buddies on one of the biker forums I frequent may have some info, or with luck some dirt.:D

Roy

No chance mate.

Dont worry about it..... Just send the guy our way if he comes back ;)

and using an ex police bike was able to video and record my speed. He must have been speeding as he caught up and i was doing 80 odd.

i think this is total BS, surely the rozzers dont sell their vehicles on and leave all the mega expensive cameras on etc, a mate of mine years ago had an ex police car and it just had screw holes everwhere where the extra gear had been, you should have asked him to playback the actual part of you speeding

:D

i think this is total BS, surely the rozzers dont sell their vehicles on and leave all the mega expensive cameras on etc, a mate of mine years ago had an ex police car and it just had screw holes everwhere where the extra gear had been, you should have asked him to playback the actual part of you speeding

Thats correct.

Ex Police vehicles are stripped completely of all equipment...some parts are replaced with stock where they would be too damaged to use...otherwise you get lots of holes left :taped:

This guy sounds like a fantasist/potential stalker/nutter :search::D

On a related note did anyone watch The Gadget Show tonight? They featured an in-car camera that films 20secs of footage before recording over itself.

They were banging on about how it could be used to 'prove' other drivers were driving recklessly, who caused an accident etc etc.

I forsee a nation of public informants sending the least little thing to the Police. Heck, you think it's bad now when people flash you for the crime of *gasp* overtaking...

Some loonie once flashed some sort of wallet at me through the passenger window and seemed to dislike something I had done on the road. He also had what looked like a police hat on the back shelf and a flourescent vest on a hook on the door pillar. I just knew in my water he wasn't kosher though, so decided to act daft and got out and started to plead with him that whatever I had done would be OK, I hadn't realised I was speeding, not indicating, spitting or whatever had wound him up. He became visibly empowered and excited and started to get really carried away, I thought he was going to get some toy handcuffs out ;) After a few minutes I asked to see his warrant card, which he had all sorts of excuses not to do, such as he'd let me off this time, but not if I started to get stroppy. I told him I had decided to risk it and was going to get stroppy, In fact I said I'd never assaulted a police officer, but now had this terrible urge to do so, and took a swing at the *anker. The guy suddenly decided he wasn't a copper, and he was just having a laugh... There are some saddos about, there really are. Trouble is weirdos like him may be one step away from doing something really bizarre :( My wife works for a medical supply company, at least bi annually she gets someone weird wanting to buy gear to impersonate medics, which is very worrying, unless they are female, 40DD with a slim waist and great looks, in which case they are free to do terrible things to me dressed as a nurse any time they want.

Like it Chris - made me laugh!!

I like your post Mr Wilson!

Stevie72: Class One's post is pretty conclusive I think, but just want to add my thoughts as well.... If the faux-copper tried to use his video as evidence, one reason I can think of why it wouldn't stand up in court is that his equipment wouldn't be guaranteed to be calibrated properly. Because the bike's not owned by the police anymore, he could have done anything to the equipment which would falsify the readings/data it gave.

Very True Steve - good point