The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Dash respray

Amir khan

Hi all hes a few pics of my dash respray.

I used a flat scraper to get the rubber coating off, and 60 grit paper in some places.

I then sanded it down to 1000 grit and sprayed primer.

After many many attempts of spraying (i wasnt happy with the slightest of runs) i sanded down to 2000grit and then lacquered.

heres the pics let me know what you think.

after this my indicators are not working, iv checked the wiring behind the dash but cant see anything, The air bag light is also on. Please help??

You will have to reset your airbag as you are meant to disconnect the battery before taking the dash off. If you do a search you will get info on how to do the reset.

As for the indicators not working thats most likely because you haven't plugged in your hazard light switch.

Im just doing mine aswell. taking the rubber off is a pain in the ass i did something similar to yourself. But i saw some spray on grafiti remover and decided to give it a try. it gets most of it off but not all.

Which silver did you use?

Im also putting in a pillar pod. But my method of sticking it to the pillar is a bit.... iffy. Double sided tape doesnt seem to hold very securely.

Yours is looking good. are you going to do the bit on the door aswell?

any particular type?

Tiger seal or anything similar. Most motorfactors stock what you would need, comes in a tube that you will need a gun for. Its black, sticks like sh*t to a blanket and gets bl00dy everywhere! Alternatively, windscreen bonder will do the job, both are very similar.

hth :)

I called the fella today and he said go to a pet shop that does fish, get a small tube of fish tank sealant, its clear and will stick it down good and proper but if you ever need to take it off it peals off like rubber, He makes and sells gauges so im sure it will work well, if you happy to wait i should get my pod this week, I will go ahead and do it and take photo's.

so im guessing it is similar to windscreen sealent, also pets shops do a small tube for £5 so you dont need a gun.

Lew.

Edited by bmx1lew (see edit history)

cheers mate. i got some. They did 2 kinds a big tube for about 5 quid. but its black. Ive whacked it on and its taped up outside at the mo :) Hope i can get it off again at a later date as i have a guage to change when i can afford it :p

cheers mate. i got some. They did 2 kinds a big tube for about 5 quid. but its black. Ive whacked it on and its taped up outside at the mo :) Hope i can get it off again at a later date as i have a guage to change when i can afford it :p

cool man let me know how it goes then get pics :D

Hi all.

This is what i used to take the rubber of on the flat panels http://www.tool-up.co.uk/img/fs/21795.jpg

Worked well.

I sprayed the dash and the drivers side door.

(Today i took my front bumper and lights out getting it ready for my bodykit. Will post soon)

cool man think i will do mine this weekend, some sort of dark grey, will go well with my blue led conversion.. which i may try and do this weekend :eyebrows:

cool man let me know how it goes then get pics :D

Will do. i need a new guage as i damaged it when i pulled it out of the old caseing where it was in the air vent. Still works but its not pretty (screwdriver slipped!) Then bodged it into the pod slightly :p So it will have to come out and be sprayed again at some point... Aswell as fitting an AFR guage. Unless i get a matching EGT which would be nice. but im not sure which is more usefull. EGT matches better :p

Not 100% sure. mine was like this. Came with the car.

Sponge shoved down the vent. Then the guage was in a surround thing no idea where it came from but it fit perfectly. this was then just wedged inside the existing swivel fitting of vent.

Although now ive taken the guage out there is still no air coming through the vent :S must have been blocked elsewhere also.