The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spoiler purpose...

Axle

hmm, so what about rally cars, why do they have rear wings if they add drag/weight & they rarely get over 120mph? Are the skyline GTR's adjustable wings just for show?

The supra wing sits in line with the roof doesnt it,wouldnt that aid air flow? whereas other cars have spoilers that are low & wouldnt have any effect. Id be more interested in finding out what the front auto spoiler does for the handling on a supra seeing as its optional from the factory.

Edited by AgtX80 (see edit history)

160kg @ 155mph. Someone on supraforums did the maths from the toyota specs.

IIrc it weighs 3.5kg

I don't think there is any info regarding the front spoiler but I'd have thought it would have to balance the rear wing and ducktail, but iirc instead of physicaly directing airflow it alters the preassure behind it to create downforce.

The supra wing sits in line with the roof doesnt it,wouldnt that aid air flow? whereas other cars have spoilers that are low & wouldnt have any effect. Id be more interested in finding out what the front auto spoiler does for the handling on a supra.

The air flow over your car is likely to "stick" to the roof and follow the tailgate down, away from the rear spoiler. The spoiler is then left in cleaner airflow, which would in theory help it produce more downforce. Whether or not the difference would be noticeable is another question.

The brackets for the active spoiler are too weedy to take any aerodynamic loads, so I'd say it's used to direct airflow into the engine bay somehow to aid cooling at high speeds (same as the uk bonnet scoop).

160kg @ 155mph. Someone on supraforums did the maths from the toyota specs.

IIrc it weighs 3.5kg

I don't think there is any info regarding the front spoiler but I'd have thought it would have to balance the rear wing and ducktail, but iirc instead of physicaly directing airflow it alters the preassure behind it to create downforce.

Link to those Toyota specs? And the thread on Supraforums where he posted those results up?

Lol.

I'm kinda hoping a IT nerd puts all the details of every kit into a simulator to show what effect kits have on our cars at XYZ speeds.

I'd be up for reading those results too :D

There are a few threads around where people have uploaded CAD models of Supras, if they were convertable for use in a CFD package, I'm sure it wouldn't take tooo much time. Just a case of finding someone with the know-how, correct computer packages and a week or 5 of spare time :D

Id be more interested in finding out what the front auto spoiler does for the handling on a supra seeing as its optional from the factory.

Rear one wasn't a standard fit either. They are both for show only. Very unlikely you will spin wildly out of control on your way to work just because you've stuck the rear spoiler in the wheelie bin.

A properly designed wing will start working around 60 - 70 mph - thats why rally / touring cars have them.